bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

When are prices coming down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:58 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Withdrawl of Lending Money from Education Reply with quote

BK wrote:
I agree we are not at the bottom.

The Next shoe to drop will be lower enrollment/lower revenue for Colleges.
MEFA Announce last week it was cutting its student loan program, Bank of America cut their Student Loan program last week, and Sallie Mae (Student Loan funding company) has been in trouble for several months.

This will impact Bostons favorite conerstone - Education. Colleges have seen too much easy Money and this has fuel their growth in physical size and impact on the Boston economy.

You will see lowere employment by Colleges as the gravy train slows down and they have to learn to control their costs.

Good grief! I really hope that doesn't happen. I agree that college costs (OK, somewhat off topic here) have gotten out of control, but higher education and research are among the things that keep our country a world leader. If we let education go, we'll have something a lot worse than a recession on our hands -- we'll become a third world country.
john p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boston.com/realestate/news/articles/2008/04/13/homing_in/?page=2

Check out the graphics on the left of page 2. Check out the change between 2001 and 2002. House prices went up from $288.7k to $332.3 while salaries dropped from $74.2k to 73.4k.

I think it was due to stock market dollars plowing into the real estate market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_market_downturn_of_2002

In the past couple of years the incomes have been going up modestly and the home prices dropping, so I think the fundamentals are actually better now than in many prior years. I think Massachusetts will come out of this before the majority of the nation. I also think that the recession may last a while, but based on pent up demand and improving income to price ratios in the past couple of years, I think that it won't collapse and perhaps has the potential to bottom in many locations.
john p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, in 2000, the interest rate was approx. 8.5% so the $275k mortgage yielded about a $2,114 mortgage payment.

Today's $399k with a 5.75% mortgage rate yields about a $2,328 mortgage payment.

Between 2000 and 2008 you're making $20k more, so the extra $214 a month is covered by the extra $1,000 in the salary growth.

Also, if you bought in the year 2000 you'd have just 23 years left on your mortgage and most likely got an opportunity to refinance.

Before you think we get a crash ask yourself honestly, how the United States who is in a similar boat as many other nations could fall independently of other nations. If we get a correction, I wonder if it will be an inflation or wage correction or currency correction, but whatever the changes are, the fundamentals will remain close to the norm based on the three primary components: median house price, median income, and mortgage rate. I think things like the 2002 stock market collapse will deform fundamentals temporarily, but they will eventually migrate back to the historical fundamentals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:55 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think those numbers are a little misleading-- 2000 mortgage the year at 8.32 and went as high as 8.71 but ended at 7.58... 2001 was 7.3 to 7.34 and ending at 68.5... and the lowest month in 2003 was at 5.43...

als with recession comes unemployment and underemployment which could easily take away any modest income gains we have seen

I do think this market is slightly more insulted due to lack of huge development but looking at cost of living and salary fundementals this market will continue to go down...

If the 8.7% to 12% form 2005/6 highs that has been reported in the boston market was reflected in all RE maybe we would be closer to the bottom- but it is not.

I believe the people on the sidelines are going through the kubler ross model-- 5 stages of gried: anger, denial, bargaining, depression acceptance. Where do you think the typical 2004/5/6 buyer is in that stage? or the typical real estate broker? This is not an easy pill to swallow.
BK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Inflation - College costs just another indicator Reply with quote

Samz,

Yes - discussing College Costs seems off topic - but, its the loose Credit that has driven Real Estate and College costs. Many parents have used Credit to extract Equity from their homes to pay for the absurd price of College.
Cutting Edge research doesn't and won't die back with cut backs.

Your belief that we can't cut back on spending demonstrates how screwed up the system is .
Young couples have to have a 2,500- 3,500 sq ft home for the children to live well and a giant SUV. The oly way to acquire either of these for most people is CREDIT!
This logic will die with tighter credit standards - and we can start living within our means.
stillRenting

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BK

...I also want a pool.
john p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Median Price to Median Income Ratios: Source:

http://www.boston.com/realestate/news/articles/2008/04/13/homing_in/?page=2

2000 - 3.78 Price - $275.7k, Income - $73.0
2001 - 3.89 Price - $288.7k, Income - $74.2
2002 - 4.54 Price - $332.3k, Income - $73.4
2003 - 4.68 Price - $356.9k, Income - $76.2
2004 - 4.79 Price - $387.6k, Income - $80.9
2005 - 4.84 Price - $411.1k, Income - $84.9
2006 - 4.48 Price - $403.4k, Income - $90.1
2007 - 4.23 Price - $399.0k, Income - $94.2

Monthly Mortgage (principal based, again, on Blanton's article for median price, assume 20% down using July's mortgage rates)

2000 - $2,032 @ 8.35%
2001 - $1935 @ 7.25%
2002 - $2,084 @ 6.75%
2003 - $1,972 @ 5.45%
2004 - $2,111 @ 5.45%
2005 - $2,279 @ 5.75%
2006 - $2,340 @ 6.5%
2007 - $2,430 @ 6.75%

CPI (Inflation)

source: http://www.bls.gov/ro1/9150.htm

2000 - 4.3
2001 - 4.3
2002 - 2.6
2003 - 3.8
2004 - 2.7
2005 - 3.3
2006 - 3.1
2007 - 1.9

The next exercise I need more time to do is a year over year summary of the entire context. I believe that the cost of living including and surrounding housing outpaced wages and although mortgage payments grew more modestly due to the interest rates, the affordability issue became more of a problem as people became more burdened by bills. Further, property taxes increased at least 2.5% each year, so the tax burden in addition to inflation costs are causing people to fall behind.
john p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the $2,033 mortgage of the year 2000 using the $275.7 @8.35 and ran it out each year at a 3% increase, you'd get $2,500 in 2007, so factoring in interest, the actual mortgage payment is growing just under 3% based on my calulations. If I'm wrong please let me know, thanks...
john p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other very important point, is to see what quality you get for the price year over year.

I would take the type of home I was targetting in the target market and see what price it was selling in 2000, 2001, 2002, etc. I think that you can sort by price ranges in a given year and then you take those addresses and drive by them and see if the quality of what you got for the money has changed materially.

My point is that what the median can pay stays fundamentally pegged to normal increases like 3%. The deformation due to interest rates skew the price numbers for sure, but researching the Shiller's sales pairs like Admin. suggests gives you a better feel of how much bang for the buck the median has the power to buy.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
higher education and research are among the things that keep our country a world leader. If we let education go, we'll have something a lot worse than a recession on our hands -- we'll become a third world country.

Well Sam... this was bound to happen, once the HELOC dried up.

Realize, with the offshoring of science and engineering work, it was just a matter of time before education started to go with it.

And I think, part of the problem is the hubris, on the part of American elite schools. When MIT put out the opencourse freeware site, ocw.mit.edu, what were they thinking? That there were no other top science and engineering people in the world? And that their charity work would make them look like saints? Quite the contrary, in many schools in Asia and other continents, the so-called MIT rigor is there but w/o the worldwide name recognition and accolades. I'd known quite a few from Tsinghua, StPetersburg Polytechnic, UTehran, etc, who'd gone to MIT and weren't blown away by the curricula from hell. They generally kept it to themselves, not to rock the boat. Now, the cat's out of the bag and many people, along with the visa problems since 911, don't see the value of America's best programs. You see, it's the arrogance and subsequent exclusivity of the faculties, labs, employers, VC money, etc which is what made the MITs, Harvards, Stanfords, etc, the envy of the world. The actual book learning value can be gotten at a much reduced overhead than $50K per year.
samz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Inflation - College costs just another indicator Reply with quote

BK wrote:
Samz,

Yes - discussing College Costs seems off topic - but, its the loose Credit that has driven Real Estate and College costs. Many parents have used Credit to extract Equity from their homes to pay for the absurd price of College.
Cutting Edge research doesn't and won't die back with cut backs.

Your belief that we can't cut back on spending demonstrates how screwed up the system is .
Young couples have to have a 2,500- 3,500 sq ft home for the children to live well and a giant SUV. The oly way to acquire either of these for most people is CREDIT!
This logic will die with tighter credit standards - and we can start living within our means.

Well, I can't be impartial on this topic, since I teach at a local college. But I can tell you this: from the inside, it certainly doesn't feel like we're getting fat on loose credit!

In general, though, I think that student loans are considered a pretty good form of credit, since they increase the earning power of the borrower.
john p

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gse.harvard.edu/news_events/features/2006/05/02_long.html

http://www.highereducation.org/reports/affordability_supplement/affordability_1.shtml

Many of our younger real estate buyers today are buried in student loan debt.

It always bothered me that people complained that people were using their homes as ATM's, but to pay for college, most families were forced to do so.
BK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Credit is Good because its for a GOOD Purpose! Reply with quote

Samz,

Your comments speak volumes. Student Loans are good! Please don't get offended - I'm sure you are a great teacher - but, education costs are sending Towns and parents to the poor house. Towns budgets are 60% or more related to education and many families borrow to finance $160,000 College educations. Not all Students end up in a career that requires a $160,000 education.

You'll know the economy is finally on the right track when more and more of your fellow teachers are replaced by On-Line learning and many students will opt for a technical or trade school in place of college. With the withdrawl of credit from the Housing and College systems - things will have to be done in a more Cost effective way - cheaper.

Most Colleges I've seen have had their own Housing/Building Booms in the last 10 years. Many of them have expanded to support todays student population that is the Biggest in the history of the USA.

But, its OK to over spend on Education (the education insiders will tell us) - because its for the Children.

PS: I am a Parent.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer wrote:

And I think, part of the problem is the hubris, on the part of American elite schools. When MIT put out the opencourse freeware site, ocw.mit.edu, what were they thinking? That there were no other top science and engineering people in the world? And that their charity work would make them look like saints?

Hold on there - MIT didn't start OpenCourseWare because they thought they were the only ones capable of it. I remember at its inception they were actively recruiting other schools to do something similar (if only in part). OpenCourseWare was probably just an outgrowth of the goal to move all their course information online. Once that was achieved, why not share it? They followed a similar open source approach to their software in the past with success, and I see OpenCourseWare as an extension of this, not as hubris.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer wrote:
You see, it's the arrogance and subsequent exclusivity of the faculties, labs, employers, VC money, etc which is what made the MITs, Harvards, Stanfords, etc, the envy of the world. The actual book learning value can be gotten at a much reduced overhead than $50K per year.

Sorry, I should have put this in my last post...

I do agree that people need to look at the actual value of their education before entering indentured servitude. Motivated individuals can learn on their own for far less than $50K per year. However, I would remove MIT from yor list since tuition is going to be $0 per year, starting this year:

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2008/tuition-0307.html

In particular, tuition is free for families earning less than $75K per year. Additionally, and of direct relevance to this discussion, MIT will ignore home equity when determining the aid for students whose families earn less than $100K per year.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.