bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

How long does a bubble take to burst?!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranunculus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 pm GMT    Post subject: How long does a bubble take to burst?!?! Reply with quote

Wow, I love reading all of the old threads on this website...I know far less about all of this than most of the post-ers here, but I'm hoping to capitalize on some of your knowledge and experience!

My husband and I own a condo in South Boston and we rent it out for a little less than we pay in mortgage and fees. We rent in the 'burbs for less than we are charging our renters. We have just been assuming that it wouldn't make sense to sell the condo, but looking at current asking prices, I'm finding comparable places listed for nearly $400,000 (our mortgage is $260). So, question # 1 is: are prices still inflated in South Boston? Has it not been hit as hard as the rest of the area? Our are the people listing their condos at $400 delusional?

Watching the market tank in the last year, we have also been assuming that we are going to be getting a sweet deal here in the next year or two when we find the right house in Watertown/Arlington/Newton. However, now I'm starting to think we should just keep our cheap little rental ($1400) and save until it becomes *really* clear that the market has bottomed out. Right now we have about $50,000 to put down on a house, but in 3 years, we would have triple that saved if we kept renting....What do y'all think???
Shoeshine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Suffolk County Registry of Deeds Reply with quote

A good source of info for you
is the Suffolk County Registry of Deeds website

Use the records search engine and see what
you can find for recent sales on your street
and your neighborhood .

Recent sales activity will give
you the acccurate info you need

I will post both links below
hopefully they both work .

http://www.suffolkdeeds.com/

http://www.masslandrecords.com/malr/controller

Cool
Shoeshine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click the Document Search Link near the top
on the Suffolk's Registry of Deeds homepage

http://www.suffolkdeeds.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:28 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks, Shoeshine,
Good idea, but the records don't go beyond 2003 for Boston, so we can't find current sales...oh well. Zillow has some information, but since there aren't a lot of recent sales, it's hard to find enough data!
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling your condo may not be a terrible idea. You're not generating positive cash flow, if you're renting it for less than the mortgage, taxes, fees, etc., and there's always the risk of having a large unexpected expense, either due to something in the building (e.g., the heating system fails), or tenants who cause damage.

If your mortgage is $260k and you can sell for, say $360k, you'd have with your $50k saved up, a $150k for a downpayment on a house.

We will only know in hindsight that the market has bottomed. I think it's reasonable that prices will drop in the coming months, but beyond that, no one really knows.

My suggestion would be either increase the rent to cover your expenses with enough left over for unexpected repairs, or sell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
THanks, Shoeshine,
Good idea, but the records don't go beyond 2003 for Boston,

the records go right upto 2008 all the way to the
present moment .

I just checked today's records

everythng is there

you are doing something wrong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 properties sold in all of Boston today

that might be an all time low Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.