bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

It is 2006 again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

From my experience it seems to be 6-7. That's what the schools I went to are ranked now.

I assume you mean on GreatSchools.org, given past discussions. I know you've brought up some good concerns about their methodology in the past, and I can also think of many additional points of failure that weren't touched on. Just to scratch the surface, I'll say that I went to two different high schools growing up, one is ranked 7 on GreatSchools, the other 4, the one ranked 4 was worlds better, and I don't believe that the one ranked 7 was "good enough" (but the one ranked 4 was). I can think of numerous explanations, but the net effect is that I take their rankings with a pretty big grain of salt.

I appreciate your other suggestions. Thanks. I have indeed become more reluctant about some well ranked/testing schools after reading negative feedback on online (e.g., Sudbury). I've also heard good things in person from actual students about the schools in Arlington and Winchester, but my sample size is small.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arlington is really nice. If I were in MA still, then my first pick would be a big enough condo in Brookline. I like city living and Jewish community is great there. My wife hates cities, though, so my next bet would likely be Arlington. I'd prefer pars of Newton but can't afford it. Lexington is too sparse for my tastes. Arlington is interesting, has good enough schools, and is relatively cheap. If you're patient, then you can probably afford to do a tear-down there even.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to chime in but many moons ago, GenX, myself, and a few others had a lengthy conversation about this topic.

For one, the valedictorian (or someone in the top 5 to 10) of some rural Kentucky HS, who's the first person to start a school radio station in his local community, will more likely gain admissions to various Ivies, etc, over many Boston area upstarts.

But here's what forgotten... he'll also win full scholarships to other private colleges, like a Rice, Vanderbilt, or Emory, and thus, be able to graduate loan free. A person from the Immune HS (no need to mention names here Wink), on the whole, will not be in the top 5 to 10 in his class and thus, will not be in the running for those competitive scholarships because many colleges want their profiles to indicate a higher class rank for new attendants. What will happen instead is that the kid may make the base 'admissions' cutoff at a particular college but may not be in the running for a full ride, without a hefty loan component.

At the moment, I don't have children but I have friends who do. Some of these fellows are currently homeschooling their kids and I've helped them with the curricula. In particular, I've worked on training the kids mnemonics for fun and have incorporated those 3.5K SAT/GRE word lists, into those practices. We're talking 8 to 11 year old kids here, not even teenagers. They now want to learn new words, even without prompting.

In addition, we've contracted with online essay readers, who can provide feedback on their writing. They're also a part of a literature group where they can discuss the classics and so forth. In terms of math, concepts from algebra I are already be applied via word problems. The next phase is to roll in Landon's great sentences course and then, when they actually read Faulkner or Whitman, they'll have a better impression of how a particular writing style conveys a different perspective or flavor.

Once they've mastered what we call the foundational work, then they can start taking classes at Harvard Extension and aim for an associates degree by the age of 17 or not, if they change plans at the time.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Arlington is interesting, has good enough schools, and is relatively cheap. If you're patient, then you can probably afford to do a tear-down there even.

Given what I've seen on the market over the last year+, a tear-down might actually be a faster way to get something decent, at least if the inventory remains as desolate as it was last year (currently, it's actually even worse). How would you go about beginning that process, if you were doing it? My big concern is not knowing what can be done legally, what requires approval (e.g., from the town), and how much friction and risk would be added by that process.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: 232 day Reply with quote

showgunxx wrote:
No admin, 599,900 price tag start on january 6th. 2014. so this just 'priced right' for less than a month.

238 Austin finally sold yesterday for $577,500. So it took over a year, which is very anomalous right now. Plenty of other places have been selling immediately regardless of whether they are "priced right," because inventory has been so tight. This one wasn't even immediate after the price change - it looks like it took 2 months for someone to bite, judging from when Zillow listed it as pending, while most places I've seen have gone contingent in under a week of hitting the market, irrespective of price.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few teardowns on MLS the past 2 days:

255 Washington St Arlington, MA - $399k. Flat, decently sized lot in a decent location. Easier to buy that newish one around the corner though.

56 Orient Ave Arlington, MA - $395k. Not a flat lot but big enough.

421 Bedford St Lexington, MA - $399k. Easy to build lot in Lexington but bad location.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:49 pm GMT    Post subject: $577500 is the final price Reply with quote

After 2.5 months in the market, with $23,500 reduction, the place finally sold.

http://www.redfin.com/MA/Newton/238-Austin-St-02465/home/11424678
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: $577500 is the final price Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
After 2.5 months in the market, with $23,500 reduction, the place finally sold.

http://www.redfin.com/MA/Newton/238-Austin-St-02465/home/11424678

It was on the market a lot longer than that and the cumulative price reduction was far greater. They took it off the market for a little while, so the stats reset.

- admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good tear down hit the market today.

11 Fremont St

It's a flat lot. Very nice trees, nicely placed in the rear of the yard. Lot is big - 8000sf! That's bigger than my lot actually. I have a 7500sf lot w/a 3500sf house on it. I have friends who live around the corner - great location and lots of stuff to walk to. Area is mostly 2-family residences.

Now for the math. Newly renovated homes in the area about 2000sf are selling for $368/sf. If you plop a 2600sf home here at a cost of $150/sf, then you your building costs $390k. Assuming you can get a clear lot for the asking price of $430k, then your total cost is $820 or $315/sf or a profit of $75/sf ($195k). No new construction in area to compare to but people would probably pay more for a new home than a renovated one. Also, $150/sf is a pretty high end home. Similar sized homes in my development only cost $110/sf by comparison and would still be less after adjusting for regional cost differences.

Impervious coverage ratio in Arlington is 35% if I recall so could probably even build a 1-level house here, though I wouldn't. It's enough square footage for 4br+office+game room/3ba, with master and office down and maybe a guest room. Need to check city rules but with density here you could probably go even larger except that you'd be pushing the price limit for the area so that'd only be for multi-family I think.

The main downside is the apartments across the street.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 pm GMT    Post subject: not good Reply with quote

entry door facing the stairs, bad feng shui! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.