bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Interest rates are Driving Home prices - always have

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:37 am GMT    Post subject: Interest rates are Driving Home prices - always have Reply with quote

What is driving home values - Interest rates - two pictures tell the tale!

Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Graph of House prices vs 30 yr Mortgage Reply with quote

I include Case Shiller House price data for Boston, San Francisco, and Atlanta (not a high tech hub). Look at how Home prices react to changes in interest rate.

http://tinyurl.com/30yrvsHouse

[img]http://tinyurl.com/30yrvsHouse[/img]
hopeful61

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Interest rates Reply with quote

So what does this mean for the Boston area (namely Cambridge/Somerville)? If interest rates rise will it affect home prices? Will interest rates rise before 2015?

As a long term saver and renter waiting on the sidelines, I am waiting for interest rates to rise before buying but I do worry (well, a little..) with the low inventory that if I don't "buy now" I'll be "priced out forever". Wink
Former Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:59 pm Post subject: Interest rates
So what does this mean for the Boston area (namely Cambridge/Somerville)? If interest rates rise will it affect home prices? Will interest rates rise before 2015?
Response:

I'm always struck by situations that seem to make no sense. The people that say NOW is the time to buy never say the ultra low interest rates that we had earlier this year and none of them ever predicted the 30 year Mortgage rate moving up by 35% this past summer.

Read Mark Hanson commentary and the invterview with Robert Shiller and Mark Hanson. Robert Shiller and Mark Hanson both agree that Housing is very speculative at this point in time.
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?play=1&video=3000193241

Mark was right in 2010- does anyone remember housing double dip in prices after the tax credit program ran out??
http://www.cnbc.com/id/37575536

Mark Hanson is an expert in the field of Mortgages and the Housing Market. He thinks we have had a surge in demand and constrained inventory.

He recently summed up what has been happening with:

"Lastly, a surge of supply into a market with 10-year notes at 1.6% and 30-year mortgage rates at 3.25% — when investors and organic buyers were driven by the biggest stimulus to ever hit housing too jump all over each other and pay 15% over last price/appraised value — is a completely different situation than a surge of supply AFTER a house prices and interest rate surge, which have both done a great job of sidelining a large percentage of investors and organic buyers alike.

In short, people forget the housing market has been turbocharged by the greatest direct stimulus in history over the past 18 months. They are so accustomed to historic rates stimulus they simply don’t see it. I hear so much that the past year “recovery” has to be “organic” because the “government” is not providing any stimulus or subsidies. Perhaps, technically they are correct because the Fed is not a government agency. But when you factor in the power of the Fed buying rates down from 5.5% in 2011 to 3.25% in 2012/13 on demand and 6.5 million mortgage mods on supply you come up with a very volatile situation if that go-go-juice is ever taken away. And it was just taken away.

Real simply, the housing market “hard reset” to Twist/QE3 — rates being forced down to 3.25% from 5.55% by the Fed over a couple of months — began in late 2011. Now that this stimulus has been taken away literally overnight, housing must “hard reset” again. This “reset” will appear in the form of a sales volume/price “air pocket” through year end at least.

Bottom line: While more supply would have been great for “this” housing market a year ago, now — with far fewer buyers, prices through the roof (far more expensive than in 2003 – 2007 on a monthly payment basis), and 15% purchasing power lost in the past 2 months — it could crush it."
Find the original here:http://mhanson.com/archives/1419
hopeful61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I guess I will continue renting despite risking the continued condescension of my peers and relatives. Because you know, you're not a real adult until you have a mortgage. Wink or should it be Sad
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:56 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Interest rates Reply with quote

hopeful61 wrote:
...but I do worry (well, a little..) with the low inventory that if I don't "buy now" I'll be "priced out forever". Wink

Interestingly, futures contracts for Boston area housing are now projecting price declines in nominal terms. You could read that a few ways. The November 2013 contracts which just settled today only jumped in price recently, so the 2014 future contracts may be similarly underpriced if this is just a function of low volume on the futures (there's a profit opportunity if somebody actually believes that). Or it could be that the housing price spikes of 2013 were anomalous. Sustained ~10% real annual house price inflation would go dramatically against history and would eventually price everybody out forever, so this is not a good year to extrapolate from.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.