bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Making a lightning conductor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rumana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 am GMT    Post subject: Making a lightning conductor Reply with quote

I once spent a worrying night watch with lightning all around, or so it seemed at the time, wondering when we were going to be hit and if we were what to do about it?
Having looked at ocean temperatures off Brazil, it is highly likely that I will meet up with electrical storms at sea and am now trying to work out how, on a small boat with an unstayed fibreglass mast and no steel rigging, how to construct a working lightning conductor.
A possible idea is as follows: Take a length of copper water pipe and hammer flat and fix to masthead so it is at least one metre above all aerials. Fix a length of armoured copper cable as used by BT for underground cabling to a junction box at the foot of the mast. ( This would allow the mast to come out if need be) Fit another length of armoured copper cable across foredeck, down stem, down front of keel to ground plate on bottom of keel. Lightning follows path of least resistance and copper I have read is an excellent conductor. The armoured sheath should protect the cable from salt water corrosion and hopefully if the mast is struck, the many thousands of volts will want to zoom down the copper pathway and into the sea and NOT enter the junction box only to exit straight down and blow a nasty big hole in the deck and possibly me sitting down below! This, I suggest is just a theory and I wonder if anyone else has pondered this problem and if so, have you reached any conclusions which could be helpful. I suppose that most other jester challengers will be sailing bermudan rigs with stayed metal masts, so what suits those, will undoubtedly not work on mine.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.