bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Wellesley Market Appears Overpriced?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Wellesley Market Appears Overpriced? Reply with quote

Lots of houses sitting right now. Sellers beginning to drop prices and some even adding in basements to skew the listing. Will certainly continue to sit... a few examples below but many more out there. Not sure if it is the season or what but cant see these going at these prices. Nice houses but I bet we see at least some of these again in March. My guess is spring 2019 will be a very interesting buying season -- not sure where the market will be.

Overpriced in my opinion:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/95-Parker-Rd-Wellesley-MA-02482/56620015_zpid/

Overpriced and starting to come down significantly:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/110-Albion-Rd-Wellesley-MA-02481/56616976_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7-Alba-Rd-Wellesley-MA-02481/56616120_zpid/

Overpriced and now even unfortunately trying to add the basement to the listing:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/22-Louis-Dr-Wellesley-MA-02481/56619210_zpid/

Best of luck to all in your searching -- looking forward to connecting in 2019!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree agree agree. I saw that one too I thought crazy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think as interest rate up trend slowly in place, it blows off the top tier of foam in housing market with every hike.

Price is getting flat, and dip a bit in high end housing tier. Recent stock market drop maybe a good indication of worse time is still yet to come.

The only thing still flowing the boat is people still have confidence with the current economy, as job market still ok. I won't see the perfect storm until companies start laying off people due to big stock market crash, which I can see as a long due event that will happen.

Also need to put $15 minimum wage into consideration, which will forever raise the price floor for low end market. And with simple calculation, anything with monthly payment of $1600 or below would be considered less room to fall further.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I think as interest rate up trend slowly in place, it blows off the top tier of foam in housing market with every hike.

Price is getting flat, and dip a bit in high end housing tier. Recent stock market drop maybe a good indication of worse time is still yet to come.

The only thing still flowing the boat is people still have confidence with the current economy, as job market still ok. I won't see the perfect storm until companies start laying off people due to big stock market crash, which I can see as a long due event that will happen.

Also need to put $15 minimum wage into consideration, which will forever raise the price floor for low end market. And with simple calculation, anything with monthly payment of $1600 or below would be considered less room to fall further.

Interest rates don't matter to the top tier housing buyers because they don't pinch pennies like everyone else. Every 1% increase per $100k is an additional $100/month. To someone with a $2 million mortgage on a house in Wellesley, 2k more per month is chump change. The stock market drops hurt them much worse, though.

When the minimum wage goes up, everyone's wages go up. If McDonald's pays 15, Starbucks has to pay more than that and so on up the food chain. If your wages aren't going up, it's your fault for not finding a better job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interest rates don't matter to the top tier housing buyers because they don't pinch pennies like everyone else.

I don't know about that. Interest rate hike so far have suppressed the demand of buying, especially on the high end market. And when greedy owners who holds 2 millions mortgage suddenly found out no more fools want to buy it from them, they get into fear and try to cut lost and sell, that further suppress the price. You can go check in zillow and redfin, the price drop occur often in top tier housing.

Quote:
When the minimum wage goes up, everyone's wages go up. If McDonald's pays 15, Starbucks has to pay more than that and so on up the food chain. If your wages aren't going up, it's your fault for not finding a better job.

Again I have doubt of this logic as well. McDonald pay 15 bucks per hour from 10 bucks per hour currently, that is 50% increase in pay. This has nothing to do with a software engineer who get paid 40 dollars per hour will suddenly get raised to 60 dollars per hour. Instead, that job might be shipped to India now with higher cost. minimum wage only lift the price floor, but not necessary left all salaries level. And that is what we are seeing here, with sub 300k SFH becoming harder and harder to find with 95 belt.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Quote:
Interest rates don't matter to the top tier housing buyers because they don't pinch pennies like everyone else.

I don't know about that. Interest rate hike so far have suppressed the demand of buying, especially on the high end market. And when greedy owners who holds 2 millions mortgage suddenly found out no more fools want to buy it from them, they get into fear and try to cut lost and sell, that further suppress the price. You can go check in zillow and redfin, the price drop occur often in top tier housing.

Prices aren't dropping in Welleley. Sales prices are still increasing YOY. The rate of increase is dropping though. We are going to see a more sustainable phase of 3-5% YOY increases for the next few years.

Quote:

Again I have doubt of this logic as well. McDonald pay 15 bucks per hour from 10 bucks per hour currently, that is 50% increase in pay. This has nothing to do with a software engineer who get paid 40 dollars per hour will suddenly get raised to 60 dollars per hour. Instead, that job might be shipped to India now with higher cost. minimum wage only lift the price floor, but not necessary left all salaries level. And that is what we are seeing here, with sub 300k SFH becoming harder and harder to find with 95 belt.

You are the one assuming 50% increase and that's not logical. Everyone will eventually get an extra 5 bucks an hour when the minimum wage goes to $15. The dominoes are already falling. This is economics 101, but you need to take economics classes before you understand how the economics works.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2018/11/boston_hotel_strike_over

What does it mean when everyone gets a raise from the bottom up? Hint: Higher rents which will eventually lead to higher home prices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.