bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Is Boston in a bubble?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Is Boston in a bubble? Reply with quote

Hi! From what I hear rents are in line with mortgage payments. For instance in Natick there are 1 bd condos going for $170k or so and the rents are about $1000-1100/mo which is around the same as the mortgage payment, so how is this a bubble??
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not think that a mortgage payment is a good gauge of how affordable a property is. For one thing, it ignores several other costs - off the top of my head:

• Property taxes
  • Condo fees
  • Insurance
  • Maintenance
  • Transaction costs
  • Opportunity cost

It also ignores:

• Size of down payment
  • Inflation
  • Interest rate trends. This is a big one, in my opinion. With interest rates still near historical lows, it would be reasonable to expect them to be higher several years from now when you sell the property, which in turn will reduce the ceiling of what others will be able to pay.

With that said, your anecdote sounds anomalous to me. Can you post links to these condos and equivalent rentals, as you have piqued my curiosity?

- admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Example:

Natick Village
11 VILLAGE HILL LANE #7, Natick, MA 01760
1 bd, 778 sqft
List Price: $160,000

30yr fixed, $6400 down (3% downpayment, 1% closing costs), 6.173% APR (good credit)
Principal+Interest: $893
HOA: $193
Property taxes: $140

PITI + HOA: $1226

MLS#: 70669955

Equivalent rental in same Natick Village community: $1100/mo
http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/abo/521724103.html

Difference is $126/mo. but you're with buying you are:

- Building equity
- Insulating yourself against inflation (rent goes up, mortgage stays the same)

Based on these facts, please advice on how buying is detrimental right now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point I failed to mention is the mortgage interest deduction that would subsidize buying even more so it turns out when all is said and done buying is cheaper than renting.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warren Group lists the most recent median condo price for Natick as $264,500, so your example doesn't appear to be representative. I think you would find that buying is significantly more expensive than renting if you use the typical prices rather than outlying examples. You also left out maintenance and insurance and your estimates for transaction costs and mortgage rate are pretty optimistic. You will also be losing equity, not building equity, if the price of the condo follows the trajectory predicted by the futures market.

However, that isn't to say that good deals aren't starting to appear - maybe that $160K condo actually is a good deal and you should go for it. Maybe you have found a seller who is ahead of the curve. It's hard to say without looking into it in a lot more detail. I think that typical prices are in a bubble, though.

- admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really don't care about medians and statistics by some "expert" Group. What I am saying is that inventory is available right now at these prices, these are actual listings from the MLS. It is not an exception as in this community itself there are 30 units for sale between $160k - 180k. And this is the "asking" price, perhaps there are motivated sellers who will reduce a bit in this market as well?

By Insurance i am guessing you're referring to homeowners? This is the same as renters insurance, there is no difference.

1% in transaction/closing costs is normal, nothing optimistic about it.

Your rebuttal doesn't seem convincing enought.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you led off by stating that you didn't think that there was a bubble in the Boston area. Medians and other statistics are precisely how you would go about demonstrating that. The existence of a bubble in the majority of transactions is not mutually exclusive with isolated good deals.

No, homeowners insurance is not the same as renters insurance. Renters insurance covers belongings, whereas homeowners insurance covers the structure and liability.

Realtors charge 6% commission, which is part of the transaction cost both when you buy and when you sell.

- admin
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:28 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modest sized metro Boston condos a have a mean around $280-350K, not $170-190K. And in towns like Arlington, $350K gets you very little.

Anything in that territory is price in the late 1990s time frame, not today's ebullient RE so I suspect that there's a problem with either the structure or the building maintenance service agreements.

Now, it could be that the market has dropped out, in some ex-burb condo markets so perhaps it's a good deal (ala 1989-91 condo crash all over again) but I'd do my homework before buying. A friend of mine picked up his unit in Brookline back then for $40K and someone else on the Merrimac River for ~$18K.
Dorchester grandma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Rents are unreasonably high too Reply with quote

Rents are too high as well and have been for many years. My apartment at $1100 is considered low for 5 rooms in Dorchester. Landlords can get $1700 for similar size if they rent to section 8 tenants. If my apartment were in more upscale area it might go for $2000. No truly affordable housing in Boston. Many people live with roommates to afford apartments. I rent a room and that has not been easy.

Boston is way overpriced if you buy or rent. If I did not have family and job here or if I were younger, I would leave.
BK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Inflation Rent or Mortgage Reply with quote

The idea that Buying insulates you from Inflation is flawed.

Why do I believe this:

Owners -(or people renting money from a Bank) are fully responsible for repairs, property taxes, Home Owners Insurance, Condo Fees, replacing appliances, snow removal, leaf removal - all of these can increase with inflation.

The Renter - merely has to worry about the inflation impact on their rent and their renters insurance (Renters insurance is approximately 1/5 of the cost of Home Owners Insurance). My Home Owners insurance used to cost me $2000/year and my renters policy is $400.

Prices of Homes and Condos are currently based on values that are artificially high - loose Mortgage requirements and a secondary Mortgage Market that would buy any Mortgage.

The Credit/Mortgage Crisis became public in August 2007 and you are seeing the Mortgage Market become tighter. Citi Bank, Merrill Lynch, Bank of America, Washington Mutual all have seen the price of their stock drop as the Mortgage crisis has become public.

These Condos in Natick will be a much bigger bargain in 12 months and later. I'd bet they will have a hard time giving them away in 18 months from now. Being an owner in a Condo Complex with foreclosures is not a good thing.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:59 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Being an owner in a Condo Complex with foreclosures is not a good thing.

I suspect that in the future, we'll be seeing more and more bifurcation of the market where certain neighborhoods/markets straddle the 10-15% haircut whereas others crash to 40-70% of '05 highs. What that'll do is make certain so-called *deal* units, like a $120K condo (a dream for most, today), into a nightmare with condo fees not getting collected, facility maintenance not getting done along with the riffraff and squatters.
steverino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know a board has arrived when it gets its own trolls.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need no stinking Troll

Laughing Laughing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinking_badges

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly,

I think you are all jumping to worst case scenario conclusions. Keep in mind if we are strictly talking about The City of Boston, Brookline, Brighton, and Cambridge, there are still appreciating property values. Now if your talking about suburbs, well then your on your own there, but inner city Boston is still growing.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Honestly,

I think you are all jumping to worst case scenario conclusions. Keep in mind if we are strictly talking about The City of Boston, Brookline, Brighton, and Cambridge, there are still appreciating property values. Now if your talking about suburbs, well then your on your own there, but inner city Boston is still growing.

We were talking about Natick and the greater metro area in general. I'll bite, though.

Appreciation does not convey health, support from the fundamentals of income and rent does. If you wish to argue that your neighborhood is immune to price declines, it would be more convincing to show that rents and incomes support prices rather than asserting that prices can't fall because they haven't fallen. It's invalid by virtue of being a circular argument but it doesn't match the data either. 1 in 3 homes in Cambridge is selling below assessed value. Brookline had Longwood Towers fail. Condo prices in Boston Proper have started falling already. But again, the fundamentals are more important.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.