bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Justify housing prices in Davis Square
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steverino

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:22 am GMT    Post subject: It was an inherited house Reply with quote

The seller inherited the place, owned it outright, and shoveled the cash into his pocket as pure gravy, as it turns out. He originally expected to sell for nearly a million, and thought having no mortgage would enable him to hold out for his price.

It looks like even he is getting the message.
john p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steverino: from previous posts, it seems you've got your finger on the pulse in the transformation of the Somerville and Cambridge area.

Is it safe to say that when people in the 70's moved out to the suburbs and throughout the rent control era, that people weren't investing in these areas? I mean if people had a little money saved and their careers caught some wind, they'd move to Melrose, Stoneham, Winchester, Lexington, etc. Then, after rent control and with increased demand for housing by the Universities north of the Charles (who didn't build enough dormitories to keep up with enrollment) and the new construction of R&D in some of the Squares in Cambridge, a new wave of yuppies started buying up properties. Then, contractors, tradesmen started buying up two families and splitting them into condos. Weren't the old Bunker's selling the places for big money and moving out to the suburbs? I mean in your opinion, who's getting the last laugh, the old locals or the yuppies. On the one hand people see the yuppies gentrifying the old neighborhoods, but I see a bit of the old neighborhood cashing in large and selling their old run down places and buying new homes in the quiet suburbs.

I'm sure I'm missing some important stuff, so if there is any infill, let me know. Also, I wonder how you see all of this playing out in the future for those areas? Do you see a splitting of the schools: one for the yuppies and one for the working class?
steverino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who made out were the boomers who bought 10+ years ago and saw their shacks appreciate into the millions, and the holdout Bunkers who didn't sell until the housing bubble came a long. Oh, and the Bunkers' kids made out too--old Edith was still living in squalor when she kicked the bucket and passed the property to her laughing heirs.

I'm not sure what the future holds. Neighborhoods turn. In the past few decades, we've seen them gentrify. But before that, older folks saw family neighborhoods turn to ghettos. Nothing says the same thing couldn't happen again.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Steverinos post just above this one (the last comment in particular).

Do you think that is possible?

Quote:
I'm not sure what the future holds. Neighborhoods turn. In the past few decades, we've seen them gentrify. But before that, older folks saw family neighborhoods turn to ghettos. Nothing says the same thing couldn't happen again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: I think you're missing the disconnect Reply with quote

steverino wrote:

Buses? People who pay a million dollars for a house do not ride buses. Ever.

I feel weak just thinking about it.

Say, I wonder what you think my price limit should be as a first time buyer? I'm on a bus right this second, and an MBTA bus at that. Net worth is slightly over $1M, with zero of that from mummy and daddy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.