bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Low inventory for 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Milton Buyer: I am happy for you that you've locked a rate and payment you can afford. I am, and have always been of the mind set that if you find something in real estate you like, can afford, and plan to stay long term then go for it. The problem with the Millennial thinking like this however is that your generation doesn't buy to create wealth, they by out of desperation to "cap their payment". In this country we had a thriving middle class. Where did most of that wealth come from? You guessed it: Real estate equity. People used to buy 2 families as investment where one side paid the mortgage and the other was income. Millennials today buy at such prices that both units don't pay the mortgage. The rational is like yours in that it "lowers their payment". For this is what the Fed Bank has done to your generation. I am not faulting you. I'm just pointing out that in all likelihood, you will never see much equity in your home. Your home, one of your biggest asset purchases, is as you explained, a "good rent deal". If this market doesn't correct then prices will stay inflated, you will still have minimal equity and gain nearly 0% on savings. If you invest in other assets while everything is a bubble, you will loose. So, although your rental payment may be good for you, it's the overall lack of reward of any equity that is so devastating here. This market is unsustainable. You bought just before the echo bubble, which is the last push before correction. Your house will be worth less than you paid after the correction, and in 10 years you'll be lucky if it's worth what you paid for it. Stagnate equity. On the bright side, you like your payment. In regards to opinions being a mind set I can't say I agree. I would usually be on board with wanting prices to "keep rocketing higher", but when prices are not based on tru economic growth, but only propped up by Fed stimulus caution is needed. In the late 90's real estate grew on internet, great GDP of 4/5% and all while rates were 7%-8%. This market you bought in is not rooted in that solid foundation. It's rooted in quantitative fed stimulus and easy money. It took 10 years of 0% money and Fed Bank bond buy backs of 4.5 trillion. What is created on stimulus, can not be considered "solid". It is a house built without a foundation.
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:27 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dailyreckoning.com/the-echo-bubble-in-housing-is-about-to-pop/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Estate Guy wrote:
For this is what the Fed Bank has done to your generation. I am not faulting you. I'm just pointing out that in all likelihood, you will never see much equity in your home. Your home, one of your biggest asset purchases, is as you explained, a "good rent deal". If this market doesn't correct then prices will stay inflated, you will still have minimal equity and gain nearly 0% on savings. If you invest in other assets while everything is a bubble, you will loose. So, although your rental payment may be good for you, it's the overall lack of reward of any equity that is so devastating here. This market is unsustainable. You bought just before the echo bubble, which is the last push before correction. Your house will be worth less than you paid after the correction, and in 10 years you'll be lucky if it's worth what you paid for it. Stagnate equity.

That's only true if you buy now at the peak. Milton buyer bought in the middle of the real estate cycle, not at the top. Government meddling at the local, state and Federal level insures that prices will always go up in the long term as long as you don't buy at/near the peak. Milton has one of the most restrictive zoning laws in all of MA. You can't build many new houses in Milton. Most Milton developers are doing gut rehabs with additions or teardowns replaced with Mcmansions. The state will continue to raise the minimum wage. If you think rents are high now, just wait until burger flippers get 15/hr. The Fed has no choice but to keep interest rates low forever just to keep people employed. The Milton buyer will be ok because he didn't buy at the top and as long as he doesn't use his house like an ATM to cash out equity.

Anyway, we haven't seen the mother of all bubbles yet. Its likely we will see a Canadian or Australian type housing bubble in our lifetimes. When it happens, then you will see the 50% discounts from top to bottom. I doubt it will happen in this current bubble, maybe the next one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Estate Guy wrote:

Fake news. No economist with a real PhD in economics thinks this is an echo bubble. It's a new different bubble from the last one, but will end with the similar bust. No one knows when the bubble will pop until after it pops. There will always be other real estate bubbles in the future, unless we go communist.
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fake News? Who are you Donald Trump Jr?. Any economist that can't see this is an echo bubble caused by a last minute push to buy and lock rates is clueless or has no real world experience(like Yellen). These academics are a cancer. I suppose it will take time for some people to get it. Some financial pain as well. If it's such a good time to buy, hopefully your putting plenty of money into the housing market. Let me know how that works out for ya.
TrainGuy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Estate Guy wrote:

You know this article was posted in September 2015, right? I think the author makes some valid points, but it's 20 months later and the bubble hasn't popped.

There are so many external variables that affect the housing market, I think its hard to say if it will even pop at this point. It might just remain flat for a while losing ground to inflation.
RealEstateCafe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

One in three buyer's now is NOT an end user, See reference to external demand on link in this Tweet to Boston mayorial candidate Tito Jackson:

https://twitter.com/realestatecafe/status/884583744400707585

Hurry, don't delay: FREE Rich Dad / Poor Dad get rich quick investing at the top of the real estate cycle seminar swinging through Nashua, NH. No joke.
97a Garden St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-661-4046
realestatecafe@gmail.com
http://realestatecafe.com/blog
http://twitter.com/RealEstateCafe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an econ professor in college who loved to say it's not a matter of being right, it's a matter of being right with the right timing. He was very wise.

Yes we may be in a bubble, but if you (and others like the link you provided) were stating it was a bubble in 2015, and it's now 2017 and the bubble remains, then you've missed out on 2 years of a rising real estate and stock market.

It's like the "China is about to collapse" prognosticators who have been calling for its housing bubble collapse since the 2008 Beijing Olympics (remember all those Ghost Cities stories?). Well it's now almost a decade later and real estate in China is now double to triple 2008 prices. That Chinese farmer who rationally thought in a pattern just like you and decided to hold off buying in 2008 is now probably thinking of committing suicide.

Ultimately none of us are that good to always get the timing right. You buy when you need it and can afford it.
MR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Estate Guy wrote:
To Milton Buyer: I am happy for you that you've locked a rate and payment you can afford. I am, and have always been of the mind set that if you find something in real estate you like, can afford, and plan to stay long term then go for it. The problem with the Millennial thinking like this however is that your generation doesn't buy to create wealth, they by out of desperation to "cap their payment". In this country we had a thriving middle class. Where did most of that wealth come from? You guessed it: Real estate equity. People used to buy 2 families as investment where one side paid the mortgage and the other was income. Millennials today buy at such prices that both units don't pay the mortgage. The rational is like yours in that it "lowers their payment". For this is what the Fed Bank has done to your generation. I am not faulting you. I'm just pointing out that in all likelihood, you will never see much equity in your home. Your home, one of your biggest asset purchases, is as you explained, a "good rent deal". If this market doesn't correct then prices will stay inflated, you will still have minimal equity and gain nearly 0% on savings. If you invest in other assets while everything is a bubble, you will loose. So, although your rental payment may be good for you, it's the overall lack of reward of any equity that is so devastating here. This market is unsustainable. You bought just before the echo bubble, which is the last push before correction. Your house will be worth less than you paid after the correction, and in 10 years you'll be lucky if it's worth what you paid for it. Stagnate equity. On the bright side, you like your payment. In regards to opinions being a mind set I can't say I agree. I would usually be on board with wanting prices to "keep rocketing higher", but when prices are not based on tru economic growth, but only propped up by Fed stimulus caution is needed. In the late 90's real estate grew on internet, great GDP of 4/5% and all while rates were 7%-8%. This market you bought in is not rooted in that solid foundation. It's rooted in quantitative fed stimulus and easy money. It took 10 years of 0% money and Fed Bank bond buy backs of 4.5 trillion. What is created on stimulus, can not be considered "solid". It is a house built without a foundation.

Hey, I may be a Millennial but I know to roll with the punches. You can't have the world be the way YOU want it or reminisce about the past. The past is the past and for all we know an anomaly. We had major industry in the past and much of the world outside of pockets of Northern Europe were not competing with us. Now they are.

We are simply regressing back to the mean. You can read some interesting ledgers from the Netherlands in the 1700s and you'll find that it took a *skilled* Dutch craftsman about 30 years to pay off his house back then. That's about comparable to now for the Boston market.
RealEstateCafe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regrettably local real estate coverage lacks historical context and listing agents certainly aren't going to volunteer the impact of continued near record low interest rates. Here's what happen the last time mortgage rates began to rise:

FLASHBACK: October 2013

Seems some heavy hitters are seeing signs again of a “significant change in direction in August” causing the chief economist for the National Association of Realtors, to say:

“…fear of rising rates hurried people into making a decision (in June),”
“It was the last hurrah for the next 12 to 18 months.”

Today, readers of Boston.com’s real estate blog are exchanging arguments about whether recent homebuyers will regret the prices they paid during the past two quarters. Out of frustration, one asked, “Is there ever been a good time to buy?” Here are some flashbacks from the past decade to help individual homebuyers answer that question.

http://bit.ly/LastREhurrah
97a Garden St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-661-4046
realestatecafe@gmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. It's all about opinions, and yes, timing. That article from 2015 is one of many about this echo bubble. There is no way to determine when she blows. There is no rule that says it's 2 years, or 4 years or more. That's up to your intuition I suppose. As I said before, buying a property for the long haul without necessity for equity is all up to that buyer. Safe enough with no or little upside. I commend you for "rolling with the punches". I do not have that luxury. I'm a developer that buys to build or retain. I have a portfolio from the past and am happy with it. I am not happy moving forward however because after 10 years of stimulus, and not an estimated 3-5 years of unwinding it spells trouble. The Fed Bank has made risk taking a ridiculous endeavor. The odds of correction are high. He who invests to build/develop, or to merely invest in real estate faces serious consequences if this goes the way it looks. The Fed Bank robbed us of gaining interest on savings, created bubbles, forces buyers like you to buy high with cheap debt? Why? Why all the agony to us? To bail out the big banks, that's why. Regardless of who we are, or what our endeavor in real estate is, we all have lost due to these policies. I write here for the buyers, unlike yourself, that are contemplating buying as "a first home", or with the intention of moving, or those that might loose there job and are forced to sell at a major loss during the correction. What about them, or the people the pull some equity out furring this echo bubble. Not every buyer buys with the conviction that the can stay put, or that they can always afford their payments. Many people have dual income considered in their loan. One spouse gets sick, or looses their job then what. If the market isn't down 20%-40%, I suppose their fine. I had a lot of friends that got cooked in 2009+. I see the same concerns in housing now, and if nothing else, hopefully this thread will at least get people to do some more research before making their decisions.
Cheers.
RealEstateCafe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo Real Estate Guy. Yes, we privatize gains and socialize losses. A decade ago, taxpayers guaranteed one in three mortgages, now it's 90%. If we have to pick up the tab, IMHO taxpayers should insist that buyer agents represent OUR financial interest in transactions even if uninformed buyers want to proceed without one.

Regardless, agree with your advice -- Millennials and others should do research. Visiting this link will help you understand why some call the last boom / bust cycle the "lost decade" in housing:

http://bit.ly/20Drop2007
97a Garden St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-661-4046
realestatecafe@gmail.com
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information @RealEstateCafe. The history of the last decade is telling in and of itself.
RealEstateCafe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Real Estate Guy. I'm still hoping wisdom comes with age.

One of the tell-tale signs of overheated markets in the past have been well-intended but sometimes misguided innovations:

1. Downpayment assistance from sellers so you can afford their overpriced house;

2. Shared equity so investors can use OPM -- other people's money, to keep the party going; and

3. Buying in groups. If individuals are priced out, why not buy together.

Request for feedback:

Is anyone in BostonBubble looking at alternative housing to meet their needs?

If you're priced out of the market, might "coliving" be a way to create your own affordable Housing. You can comment below or record a one minute reply to this mini-idea starter:

http://bit.ly/DIYAffrdREply
97a Garden St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
617-661-4046
realestatecafe@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:03 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Estate Guy wrote:

I think (could be wrong) that most people buy a primary residence not because it is the best investment available. They accumulate wealth in the home partly due to appreciation- just above inflation, but leveraged- and mostly due to forced savings. Given the low mortgage rates, the percent of the payment going to principal is quite favorable.

As for an echo/second real-estate bubble, everyone can form their own opinion: the number of owners underwater has shrunk back to pre-crisis levels, lending restrictions are tighter, price/rent is often times favorable, buying offers an inflation hedge, etc. On the flip side, valuations certainly are higher than they were five years ago, though. In terms of historical trends, we can all see the nominal price behavior in the area for the last two downturns (forming in the late 80s, mid 00s). Ten years after the peak, the markets more than recovered from a nominal perspective. I personally view the conditions today as more favorable than they were in 2005, but others may reasonable see issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.