bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Fed Reserve and Interest Rates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elrond

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're local, FDIC, and DIF insured.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is money in my IRA so I have to pick from the brokered CD's Fidelity offers. Not sure if Blue Hills Bank is on the list. But thanks for the tip on the the MMA interest rate...

Elrond wrote:
Why go there? Blue Hills Bank in Southie will give you a 2% rate on a MMA
bsg61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
This is money in my IRA so I have to pick from the brokered CD's Fidelity offers. Not sure if Blue Hills Bank is on the list. But thanks for the tip on the the MMA interest rate...

Elrond wrote:
Why go there? Blue Hills Bank in Southie will give you a 2% rate on a MMA
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:36 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I have also switched money into money markets and short term CD's since late Dec 2017. Stock market is too choppy for me where my belief is the upside for the years probably won't exceed 5% and has potential to go negative. Real estate and stocks are fully valued. Tough time to invest for sure. I feel these are the direct consequences are easy money and quantitative easing(buying bonds and getting involving in open market operations). I know 2008 was a tough crisis, but by intervening we are no better than China or Japan. American freedom and capitalism has been punched in the face. These policies have altered the "normal" business cycle and I am uncertain how "unwinding" them will go. If nothing else, QE's and ZIRP has destroyed my faith in a free market system and made me hesitant to invest at the moment. I'm not exactly sure why, but the way I see it, downside risk is might greater than upside gain when these policies are being reversed. That's not to say some deals aren't to be hard, but the general market in real estate and stocks is over done in my opinion. For those looking for non asset yield, Metro Credit Union is offering 1.75% on MMA and raising to 2% over $100,000 and I hear Salem Five will be coming out with a 2.2% MMA later this summer. May be something to keep an eye on for the conservative.
Cheers,
bsg61

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked into the Blue Hills MMA...looks like you have to open a checking account and do so many debits or direct deposits per month to get the 2.00% rate. I'm too lazy for that.

I already have some money at Metro Credit Union earning 1.75% and did not know about the increase to 2.00% with 100K. Thanks, good to know. I will be watching for higher interest rates over the next few months. As far as my IRA is concerned, I have stopped moving cash into stock mutual funds....I am leaving my current investments "as is" which is what I did in 2008 and yes, the market did "come back" over the last 8-10 years.

Who knows what calamity is on the horizon? Everything I read is that this bubble is bigger than the last one - some call it the "Everything" bubble - and as history does often repeat itself, the "investor class" (which sadly, does not include us average schmoes with 401Ks and IRAs) will not suffer one bit, will most likely reap huge rewards, shoveled into their already bursting coffers while the hoi polloi lose our retirement funds, jobs and for some, our houses. I am a lowly renter so foreclosure is not a fear. Who knows what will happen? Certainly not I.

All in all, it seems like a really bad time to buy a house or a condo, but maybe I'm wrong and "it is different this time".

In the meantime I am putting my IRA cash into short term CD's. What is Warren Buffett's Rule #1? "Never lose money." Rule #2: "Don't forget about Rule #1." Some will argue one is losing money to inflation in short term CD's or money market accounts. So the other option is to gamble and potentially lose it all? With these still historically very low interest rates, either way the average Joe or Jane cannot win.
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

All in all, it seems like a really bad time to buy a house or a condo, but maybe I'm wrong and "it is different this time".

In the meantime I am putting my IRA cash into short term CD's. What is Warren Buffett's Rule #1? "Never lose money." Rule #2: "Don't forget about Rule #1." Some will argue one is losing money to inflation in short term CD's or money market accounts. So the other option is to gamble and potentially lose it all? With these still historically very low interest rates, either way the average Joe or Jane cannot win.

Well said guest, well said. These policies have certainly made investing an unfriendly task. No one can no for sure, but it's impossible not to fear a reversal to asset bubbles as they take away the money printing, low rates and bond buying. Unfortunately, what I fear most is that markets won't correct. You see, a truly "free" market would have already corrected in 2009. Then buyers and investors would have normalized the market by buying the corrected assets. That did start to happen, but this "lower for longer" bullshit has now jacked up prices again well above fair pricing. What's possible is that if the Fed doesn't ever get the hell out of the market then would could see a prolonged period where capital appreciation is negligible but inflation keeps accelerating. Thus we get no where as investors. This I consider worse, then if they would just get out and stay out.
Always love to hear different opinions. We can all learn from each other as we have to live through this together.
Cheers,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHjCClWd6SM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ?t=43
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/_h9MxNn8P7w

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:02 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEqZL995rBc
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are definitely making me smile Cool

In other real estate news:

https://youtu.be/HRwUMD8UQK4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think the Fed policies have distorted the housing market, just wait in 5 years when the MA minimum wage is 15/hr. Raising the minimum wage has a ripple effect on all salaries. Imaging what will happen when every worker makes an extra 8k per year and this is direct fiscal stimulus from the bottom up, compared to the Fed's trickle down stimulus which is mostly ineffective. Housing is the biggest portion of most people's salary. What this means is that the next bubble is going to be much bigger than this one. We might still have another +10% left in this bubble before it pops -25%, then prices will likely double from the next bottom.
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powell states yesterday he believe the path should be continued gradual rate hikes. Housing starts down 12.3% nationally. Projected was to be down 2%. That's a big miss. Boston's market is strong but not fundamentally sound. Building is getting phased out as the land and/or tear down cost too high. Building materials too high. Strength of the market is at the bottom($500k-$1,000,000). This will intensify with rate hikes. It's amazing how much banks can destroy free markets with self serving manipulation. This market is far from free, and is running eradic. Supply and demand is extremely tilted. Hard to say the exact reason for such low inventory but I personally believe this is also from their intervention. Keeping rates too low for too long allows price increases. This after the crash when investors bought low now allows for them to hold and rent. Additionally people with low rates locked don't want to sell. Third, baby boomers also reluctant to sell because they are mostly in the higher end where the market ain't great, but to replace or downsize is expensive because of over demand their. Then of course we have immigrants everywhere thanks to Obama. This country allows foreigners to buy here further displacing or making it harder on true Americans. Hell, I believe there is even a law on the books that if a foreigner invests $500,000 in this country they can get the "fast track" to citizen status! American was the land of the free. Many sacrificed and died for that right. The battle was lost in 1913 when the bankers and elite got the Fed Reserve Bank established. Since then our freedom has eroded and our wealth stolen from citizens with every bailout, and boom and bust.
I hope I live long enough to see a war. A war of true citizens rising up against the corruption that has indebted us up our ass and ruined our land of the free.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already happening. I'm from the south originally and I know of groups forming there. It's only a matter of time that those responsible for this mess are brought to account. Many right wing have had enough and are taking our country back. Movements coming this way against the Fed and those who back it. I would like to explain further. Real Estate Guy contact me.

Editor's note: email removed.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the poster who was asked (by me) to leave several times: the site's privacy policy is rescinded for you. Any additional posts to this site are not allowed and will carry no expectation of privacy. In fact, expect to be outed if you do so. It is not guesswork on my part - I have the ability to identify a lot more than you realize.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.