bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Fed Reserve and Interest Rates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I sure hope prices cone down. It's beyond ridiculous. It's obvious it's severely over inflated. I'm amazed it's holding on this long.

I agree!!!, a 2 family home in boston that was around 450 479 3 years ago, is now 679 and up. Sellers market!! stay away for now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I sure hope prices cone down. It's beyond ridiculous. It's obvious it's severely over inflated. I'm amazed it's holding on this long.

It's holding on because so many people in this region are well-employed, across every job sector. The Longfellow bridge project just finished up yesterday, at a cost of over $300M. Even housekeepers make $50k+/yr here.

And that's why home prices are insane, we're all fighting for the same housing stock that barely increases year over year, while more and more people move into the metro area.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

It's holding on because so many people in this region are well-employed, across every job sector. The Longfellow bridge project just finished up yesterday, at a cost of over $300M. Even housekeepers make $50k+/yr here.

And that's why home prices are insane, we're all fighting for the same housing stock that barely increases year over year, while more and more people move into the metro area.

Boston is the 3rd most expensive metro after NY & SF. Strong and diverse local economy, lots of housing demand, dwindling supply (NIMBYism at its finest - can't blame the moneyed class for protecting its assets). Those of you looking for a 20% fall in housing prices are deluding yourselves.
bsg61

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

So, it looks like all those housekeepers got a pretty big raise since 2016, eh? Maybe they're the ones buying up luxury condos! Laughing

I do agree that home prices are insane and yes, the traffic is just getting worse.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/03/15/nearly-half-of-boston-residents-make-less-than-35000-a-year

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2016/03/15/boston-residents-make-less-than-35000/
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that over population and strong salaries have helped fuel the current bubble. The other pieces are easy money and foreign money. However these dynamics can change. Rates on the rise and employment is only good, until it isn't. There is a lot of room to the downside when the pendulum swings, and it always does.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there was an anticipated price drop during the last big bubble leading up to the great recession. Does anyone have data on the percent home price
decrease in the desirable towns for circa 2009?
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know there was an anticipated price drop during the last big bubble leading up to the great recession. Does anyone have data on the percent home price

I'll have to see if I can find some data but as I recall, in good Towns like Wellesley for example, the upper end(2MIL plus) dropped 20%. Middle prices(1MIL-2MIL) went down 15%. Under a million was sporadic, but close to 15%. However, this all happened in spite of three rounds of QE and ZIRP. Even with that stimulus, those were pretty steep declines, and they persisted from 2008. -2012, so there was also no appreciation in those years which adds to the net correction

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Estate Guy wrote:
Quote:

I'll have to see if I can find some data but as I recall, in good Towns like Wellesley for example, the upper end(2MIL plus) dropped 20%. Middle prices(1MIL-2MIL) went down 15%. Under a million was sporadic, but close to 15%. However, this all happened in spite of three rounds of QE and ZIRP. Even with that stimulus, those were pretty steep declines, and they persisted from 2008. -2012, so there was also no appreciation in those years which adds to the net correction

So hypothetically if history were to repeat, we'd have to wait for a recession, and then up to 4 years for the correction to fully complete.
That could be several years. Very despiriting to someone who wants to buy a home sooner than later.
Real Esate Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So hypothetically if history were to repeat, we'd have to wait for a recession, and then up to 4 years for the correction to fully complete.
That could be several years. Very despiriting to someone who wants to buy a home sooner than later.

I agree Guest. It's hard to say when it'll correct. I do remember in 2008 thye price drops were pretty quick in that they bottomed out 2010ish and stayed flat another couple years after. Inventory rose, demand dropped and prices adjusted quickly to the down side. It's a tough predicament. Either buy and deal with buying at the top, or wait it out. As a real estate investor, I have tabled any purchases. In fact I stopped last year. I was early last time as well. I curbed buying in 2004/2005. It started slowing in 2006 and tanked in 2008. Impossible to guy, you should go with your instinct. If buying a home for the long run, maybe it doesn't matter just to get into something. That's a very personal decision, but I certainly understand ones anxiety around it.
Elrond

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsg61 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

So, it looks like all those housekeepers got a pretty big raise since 2016, eh? Maybe they're the ones buying up luxury condos! Laughing

I do agree that home prices are insane and yes, the traffic is just getting worse.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/03/15/nearly-half-of-boston-residents-make-less-than-35000-a-year

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2016/03/15/boston-residents-make-less-than-35000/

I find those numbers to be unbelievable. My own housekeeper charges me $150 cash to do my house every month. Takes her 4-5 hours and she does 2 houses a day so I absolutely do believe many are making $50k+.

How can 20.8% of Boston residents be making under $10K/yr? Are they including children and those that cannot work? That figure sounds insane to me. Even rideshare drivers can pull in $1K+/week gross.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:47 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elrond wrote:

I find those numbers to be unbelievable. My own housekeeper charges me $150 cash to do my house every month. Takes her 4-5 hours and she does 2 houses a day so I absolutely do believe many are making $50k+.

How can 20.8% of Boston residents be making under $10K/yr? Are they including children and those that cannot work? That figure sounds insane to me. Even rideshare drivers can pull in $1K+/week gross.

Lots of poor people come to Massachusetts for the generous welfare benefits. Welfare pays about 10k/year and you get them as long as you have a kid every five years. If you are on welfare, you also get a Section 8 rent voucher which pays for most of your rent. You also get free health insurance with optional $2 co-pays. Food stamps cover your groceries.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Elrond wrote:

Lots of poor people come to Massachusetts for the generous welfare benefits. Welfare pays about 10k/year and you get them as long as you have a kid every five years. If you are on welfare, you also get a Section 8 rent voucher which pays for most of your rent. You also get free health insurance with optional $2 co-pays. Food stamps cover your groceries.

Oh please, not again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Elrond wrote:

Oh please, not again.

what, you didn't notice the welfare queens crammed like sardines this morning on the red line? i nearly had to skip my daily gluten-free tarte tatin as i stepped over the hordes on my way to kendall. the horror! i knew i should have just taken the tesla today.
Real Estate Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fed raised rates again last week. Supposedly will raise 2 more time this year and 3 next. Thoughts on the impact in our local market?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Estate Guy wrote:
Fed raised rates again last week. Supposedly will raise 2 more time this year and 3 next. Thoughts on the impact in our local market?

Two 25 bp hikes won't have any real impact. If anything, I'd expect low-end RE to be even more competitive since there's a glut of people who don't give a crap about 50 bp and can still afford an $800K mortgage, but the average Joe is going to be downgrading his hopes because shit's more expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.