bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Agents Fighting Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Agents Fighting Back Reply with quote

I read an interesting story about realtors not taking on clients that "want to lowball" or "price it like its 2005". I know this article is from LA but one of the realty groups in Boston area, recently treated me the same way.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/realestate/printedition/la-re-tactic28oct28,1,7316205,full.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

Quote:
“Attention, you picky buyers who think you have all the time in the world to house hunt before you ink an offer. Listen up: Agents are mad as hell and aren’t going to take you anymore.”

“And sellers, those of you who don’t believe that your palace won’t fetch what the shack up the street sold for a year ago, you aren’t making any agent’s short list of whom to call back today.”

“Walter Sanford, a top-producing realty sales agent for more than 20 years and today a sales-coaching guru, is brutally blunt on the topic. In a down market like this, he tells agents, dump the buyers and spend your time and budget cultivating more listings of motivated sellers and only motivated sellers. It’s a way for agents to avoid financial ruin.”

“Sellers too, at least the unrealistic ones, are getting the same tough-love treatment. ‘You can’t waste time with cement-head sellers,’ is how Sanford puts it.”

“Lonnie Maples, who has been selling real estate for 29 years in inventory-saturated Riverside, had a listing appointment with a seller whose property had been in the MLS for more than a year. The owner had made several price reductions from it’s original $1,095,000, and he was now ready to list at $895,000.”

“‘I knew it wouldn’t sell for even that,’ Maples says. ‘That house, in this market…$750,000 was more like it. I declined the listing because I didn’t want to waste my time and money.’”

“And then there are those who say they never walk away from a potential listing. Anthony Marguleas, broker in Pacific Palisades, says he and his agents never turn down listings. Period.”

“The onus, he says, is on the agent to educate the client. ‘If all the comps show a house is worth $1 million and the seller wants $2 million for it, it’s the agent’s job to explain to him why that’s not possible. We won’t give up. We show the seller market analysis, comps of recent sales; we show him what else is currently on the market. It’s our job to not let him make a mistake.’”

“As for agents who sideline buyers if the buyers don’t want to commit, Marguleas says that behavior is just plain ‘lazy.’”

“‘It’s actually more than lazy; it’s insulting,’ he says. ‘Buying a home is the largest investment of someone’s life, and an agent doesn’t have the patience or time to show them homes anymore? That’s not right.’”

My Take: Realtors have become the travel agents of the 80's. Its sad they treat their potential customers like that.

Here is my favorite quote: "an agent doesn’t have the patience or time to show them homes anymore? That’s not right."
And they still want their 6%? ok sure.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that.

I think there's a strong argument to be made that Realtors(R) are exasperating the stalemate in sales by reacting too slowly to changing market conditions. Buyer's agents who actively discourage people from low-balling are preventing price signals from reaching sellers and helping to keep the market in gridlock as a result. Imagine if most buyer's agents did take on clients interested in low-balling. Instead of getting no offers, sellers would get offers that they initially balk at, but after enough low offers they would eventually get the picture and reevaluate how strongly they really want to sell.

I don't see how this hostility to customers can last. The need for Realtors(R) used to be mostly due to their near monopoly on information (a.k.a., MLS). Now that the Internet is so widespread, that need only remains due to historical momentum and could be readily replaced, from a technical standpoint. This overt hostility to customers may be the catalyst that is needed.

Fortunately, not all agents are so counterproductive. Check out the other thread on useful buyer's agents.

- admin
wolfcatcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:35 pm GMT    Post subject: agents can bite it Reply with quote

Agents? They are a joke. I've been selling professionally for years in the corporate world and I have made a lot of money while remaining ethical so I know what goes into driving a close in terms of actually offering real solutions to real needs, justifying value, strong proposal drafting, negotiating and meeting material objections. I've never seen anybody selling residential real estate who was more than the momentary holder of the keys with some basic reading/math skills. Seriously, 6.5% for what? Taking out an advertisement some place? A person buys, or doesn't buy, a home based on how much THEY like the specific property. The "agent" is less then 1% and, if more, it is because they are lying about things and buyers don't do their due diligence.

All available data shows that vast majority of realtors make same money in good times or bad. Since up markets bring in more people to the "profession" each one makes proportionately fewer sales. It works that way because they are all interchangeable, and no one has any advantage over any other; they are what economists term a fungible commodity. Honestly, a friggin' house cat could be on the porch with the key on its collar when the buyer gets there. If the buyer likes the unit, has the income and the place passes inspection and the cat would deserve and should get full credit for the "sale."

Let the agents starve , hell, let them go get real jobs that require some selling skills (then they really will starve). This market is still way, Way WAY too high. I'm not looking for a house but my advice is that (unless you MUST by for a solid reason like a change in job) sit this out as long as you can. Boston buyers really should unite and sit on their hands for twelve solid months or as long as it takes for sellers to figure out that their paper gains were totally undeserved and that the invisible hand will only spank their asses harder as they wait with their absurd asking prices going month after month without any takers.

Any realtors who read this and dislike the truth herein, shut up ahead of time. 99% of you will be doing something else inside of twelve months anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agents might sell property in phony places like LA (los angeles)
and Vegas , and perhaps in a few Resort areas ,
but here in New England , the property sells itself .

Staging and decluttering can help sell a property ,
and yes, curb appeal helps .
but you dont need to pay 5% to learn how
to stage and declutter .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.