bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Thoughts on this house in Providence
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BostonGuest

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richthofen wrote:
Here we go again. I'm sure as soon as our offer is accepted the housing market will crash.

https://www.redfin.com/RI/Providence/346-Rochambeau-Ave-02906/home/51713474

Congrats on the new house!
Richthofen

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BostonGuest wrote:

Congrats on the new house!

Thank you. It's funny, right after I hung up with my Realtor, I got an email from my landlord telling me my rent was going up in September, from $2400 to $2600 (and the way the landlord phrased it was hilarious, like "the realtor we use said market rent is $3200-3400 so we're doing you a favor by raising it".)
Richthofen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. Been living in Providence for a year and a half now, and it's been really, really good. The neighborhood is filled with families with similar aged kids to my son. The neighbors for the most part are great people. My son attends a Montessori preschool 1 mile from our house which I can ride my bike to and pull him in the trailer. I work from home and have a dedicated office; my wife found a part time job at a local high school one block from my son's preschool. No problems with crime on the East Side. Lots to do here, and frequent trains to Boston. We are close to Hope street which has lots of things to walk to, which is important for us. We're still getting by no problem with one car. I'm glad I considered leaving Boston, although I do miss the transit access.

Our PITI is $2700 compared to our old rent which was going to be $2600

We had to renovate the bathroom which set us back $25K all-in.
We upgraded the electrical service to 200 amp for $1K
we replaced the water heater for $1K
$500 worth of tree work

There's still a lot of hidden knob and tube wiring in the house, and the house shows its age with settling floors and cracks in the walls, but it's very presentable and we are doing ok paying as we go for small projects. We bought the worst house on the street relative to the amount of work it needed, but I'm glad to have this size house rather than a nicer-finished but smaller house. We have a guest bedroom which, considering both my parents are moving south to retire, will be important since they'll want to come up and stay with us.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:48 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.