bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Massachusetts Association of Realtors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john p

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Massachusetts Association of Realtors Reply with quote

http://www.marealtor.com/content/AssetMgmt/Documents/Member%20Resources/Research/AntiBubbleAnalysisBostonMSA.pdf

http://www.marealtor.com/content/bubble_analysis.asp

Read the verbiage on page 7 and then look at the first chart on page 9. These guys are really trying to put lipstick on this pig. Nice try MA Realtors. You're credibility will go down the toilet when the market corrects.

You know every time I meet a realtor, I am amazed at how stupid and lazy most of them are. I assume every time they are moving their lips that they are lying, but it is uncanny how flat out dumb most are. If I showed up to a meeting at work and were as unprepared as most of these realtors were when they show houses I'd lose my job. I am amazed at how they can still get the percentages that they do.

Giving them more credit and assuming that they are dumb like a fox makes me angry. It is very crafty how they cherry pick and interchange national statistics and forecasts with local ones.

In all fairness though, the freefall plunge of interest rates completely screwed up people's sense of fundamentals and once people's common sense was uprooted they seemed to be easily mislead and prone to irrational exuberance.

As a society, if we allow too many people to overextend we will risk the balance of future earnings. If we don't space out our spending to align with our earnings and savings, and everyone spends tomorrow's earnings today, we'll be dried up. Everyone will be pushing their bosses for raises and I'm not sure if the FED is going to allow inflation. Not all the big companies have to stay here in Massachusetts. If we let the cost of living get out of hand these companies won't want to pay our high salaries and will just leave for Rhode Island, Virginia, etc. Follow the course of the first path of capitalism in our country, watch the trail of factories in America, once our labor asked for too much here, the companies said goodbye, went south and then to China. We reinvented ourselves with this white collar thing, but that can go just as quickly (most likely south, then overseas too). It's funny I see the whole thing like a mob mentality, if everyone does it, it can't come home to roost because how could they let so many people get screwed.

I thought Massachusetts had old Yankees that had common sense, played by the rules and were grounded in rational thought. If we don't start thinking clearly a lot of us will be house poor or bankrupt in the next decade.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post. It's interesting to see how the argument of those in industry has changed over the last year from housing appreciation will remain very strong indefinitely due to lending "innovations", to the market will just cool down to a "normal" level", and now to a nominal market decline of 5% is unlikely (from their analysis of Boston). I also like how they conveniently interchange local and national data (as you pointed out) as well as real and nominal data.

Not all real estate agents parrot these talking points, fortunately. Some seem to have quite a good capacity for independent analysis. I've met with local agent Bill Wendel before and he seems particularly clueful and realizes that the industry needs to change.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.