bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

My Offer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:17 pm GMT    Post subject: My Offer Reply with quote

So I made an offer on a house. My initial offer was 35k under their asking price. It was a reasonable offer based on the comps and the condition of the house, which needed all new carpets and reeked of cigarette smoke. They countered with 5k under their original price. I countered up 5k from my original offer, said it was my final offer, and they rejected it.

Here's the story of the house. It's a divorce. They paid about 200k in the late nineties and pulled out an additional 200k in equity in recent years. So now they are underwater if they don't get their asking price. Irritating. It's ridiculous to have a 400k mortgage after 10+ years of living in a house you paid 200k for.

Here's a question for everybody. I noticed on the registry of deeds a document form the county sheriff's department. It's from late 2010. It lists the homeowner and the property, and then says "By virtue of the attached execution... I have this day... seized title and interest in such real estate." Then it lists an amount of about 3k. The creditor is a big bank. It's not the originator of their mortgage, but maybe it's the current owner of the mortgage?

Any thoughts on what this document means? Did they not pay their taxes? Their mortgage?

Is their a way to see if the property is currently in default?

I'm going to be really irritated if they are just sitting in the house (after pulling out 200k), not paying their mortgage, and waiting for the bank to kick them out in another year or two.
john p

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real estate agents should be disclosing everything. They are acting as "agents", so I'd hold them accountable for getting you the 411.

If you went at it alone, you should still be able to ask for the sellers to disclose all the details of the property.

I mean the party putting the house on the market should be authorized to sell it. You should be entitled to know who you're dealing with. It sucks if these potential squatters are just trying to milk the situation....
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the language in the sheriff's order, I think the sellers still own the house. I'm guessing that the language implies a lien on the property or something. I wish I was buddies with a real estate lawyer Wink

I'll try asking my agent.

I don't think the sellers or their agent are under any obligation to tell me whether or not they are currently paying their mortgage and taxes.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking more closely at the document, I think it refers to a parcel of land adjacent to their current lot. Maybe they owned part of the next lot, but then lost it to the county when they didn't pay the taxes.
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be related to the divorce somehow?
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard back from their realtor today. They are "getting closer" to accepting my offer. They want my best offer in writing. My best offer is going to be my original offer from the last round. Interest rates are up since I made the slightly higher counter.

At that price, it will be a short sale to the tune of 25k. I've been reading that banks are becoming more willing to complete short sales, but I don't know how true that is in Mass. I can't imagine they are liking the 500+ days it takes to complete a foreclosure in this state.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be related to the divorce situation like baylor suggested. (having the offer in writing sometimes suggest trust issues...).

I wonder if they get the sense that their situation improves with time? If mortgage rates go up, I wouldn't be shy to lower my price to reflect the premium in capital costs. They need to have an impression that you aren't their back up plan and if they blow it with their buyer their situation will be worse.

I'd date around too, keep looking. Sounds very frustrating; sorry you have to deal with it....
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't committed to anything until the bank accepts the offer. Basically I just pretend that the short offer doesn't exist, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised in six months when the bank get back to us.

Most likely I won't hear from the bank, the owners will default, and the bank will get around to foreclosing in a few years and sell it for a much steeper loss than they could sell it to me right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.