bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

S&P/Case-Shiller Boston Snapshot: May 31, 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zhoufeng

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:17 pm GMT    Post subject: about the source of the data Reply with quote

hi! It is amazing that read your research report about this real estate future .e..I am a student in china,I am very interest in this real estate derivatives.I want know where can i find these data?because i want do some research about this .god know wether you can notice me~you respond will be appreciate and expected~
my email is 30517013@qq.com
if it is possible ,we can communicate in other time,I think there is a lot of things i can learn form you!
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:06 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to comment but I figured that I might be able to chime in here.

I concur with GenXer on this one, please do not try to run an arbitrage play on the future's market. Even if you have a good 'backtested' algorithm... since you're working with discrete closing dates vis-a-vis low volume periods, even a high hit ratio can have one or two slippages which could wipe you out completely. The futures is not an amateur's sport.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:50 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer wrote:
I wasn't going to comment but I figured that I might be able to chime in here.

I concur with GenXer on this one, please do not try to run an arbitrage play on the future's market. Even if you have a good 'backtested' algorithm... since you're working with discrete closing dates vis-a-vis low volume periods, even a high hit ratio can have one or two slippages which could wipe you out completely. The futures is not an amateur's sport.

Where would a backtested algorithm fit into what I suggested? I think there must be some fundamental miscommunication going on here if you and GenXer think that what I am suggesting relies on coming up with my own algorithms and models.

- admin
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:15 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think there must be some fundamental miscommunication going on here if you and GenXer think that what I am suggesting relies on coming up with my own algorithms and models.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to bump into either of them at a party. You could ask them what they wanted to drink, and they would start talking about fat tails and backtested algorithms.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renting in Mass wrote:
Quote:
I think there must be some fundamental miscommunication going on here if you and GenXer think that what I am suggesting relies on coming up with my own algorithms and models.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to bump into either of them at a party. You could ask them what they wanted to drink, and they would start talking about fat tails and backtested algorithms.

Well for one, we're on the internet so the self-censoring doesn't kick in as quickly Wink

As for the pep talk, it's been a general observation that certain traders develop a model to determine a moving spot price target and then, use arbitrage techniques to make money when calculated thresholds are breached between the spot and future's ticker.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer wrote:

As for the pep talk, it's been a general observation that certain traders develop a model to determine a moving spot price target and then, use arbitrage techniques to make money when calculated thresholds are breached between the spot and future's ticker.

That's not applicable to what I was suggesting, though. The S&P/Case-Shiller futures are not settled based on the spot price for housing that day, they are settled based on what the price was for housing was 2 - 5 months ago. The home sales which determine the settlement price of the futures will have already occurred two or more months ago and will be in the public record. This isn't a question of betting on a model, it's a question of compiling all of the public sales records faster than S&P (i.e., in less than 2 months).

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.