bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Boston Bubble Wrap: The Real Story for MA - Jan 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaumontv wrote:
More simply put, if there are 100 homes for sale and only 30 people who can afford the down payment on them, prices must decline...or the market has to go illiquid.

The asset bubble is now global. Look at Toronto Cn, they have salaries below that of metro Boston (my company alone tags 'em at a ~35% salary discount) but they've had a housing run up, since 2007, in much of the same vein as here before the '08 crisis. Canada's major cities are being propped up by a combination of global investors and speculators.

If Boston goes illiquid, Intl REITs can still pick up individual properties, as they become available for let's say a Singaporean's portfolio. All and all, when housing became its own type of security vis-a-vis non-coupon bond, market fundamentals gave way to this type of price distortion/manipulation.
JCK

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer wrote:

So while the house below has nearly same amount of sq footage and baths as my apartment... to purchase the following (with 20% down), within striking distance of the city [circa Alewife T or Bus 77-79], it'll be ~$2.8K per month (not including any additional expenses like prop taxes, maint, heating, etc)

OK, so it's a "what I'm renting now vs. what I would consider buying" comparison. Not apples to apples.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:
Not apples to apples

The majority of the Boston area is apples to pears, given the lack of stock. I think that's where the three bears: GenXer, Balor123, & I are in accordance.

Sure, I could buy a dilapidated condo or buy in a less safe section, for the same (or less) as my rent in a better section with access to the mass transit and highways. Instead, I'd rather be physically safe and have certainty that when this job goes belly up, that I can take that job in Houston w/o carrying a 2nd mortgage & a haircut when my primary residence doesn't sell at its original buying price.

Likewise, since John P's original argument towards homeownership was retirement, it looks like I may even be able to buy my final home in VT, w/o a loan by simply not buying here. The reality of the situation is that no one wants a mortgage during retirement but during our most vital working years, it's not a bad idea to have the flexibility of moving to expanding job markets like TX or NC.
GenXer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaumontv wrote:
More simply put, if there are 100 homes for sale and only 30 people who can afford the down payment on them, prices must decline...or the market has to go illiquid. The latter assumes that all sellers can afford to stay meaning no layoffs, no job changes, no need to move, etc.

My calculations suggest that the inventory. Is about 2x of the pool of potential buyers. When th conforming limits and other changes go into effect on sept 30, 2011, the pool of buyers will get smaller.

This is true everywhere that homes run well above the conforming limits. How many people can buy a $1m home? And how many homes are on the market for $1m. Simple economics, more sells than buyers means price decline. We only had more buyers than sellers in the first place because of the liberal credit markets.

The answer is, they can buy even though they can't afford it. You are right - it is availability of credit. I think we are not out of the woods yet with foreclosures. If the job market does not improve/gets worse, expect more of the same. The thing is, it will be a slow bleed, not a drastic change, so most people won't notice it. But this can last for years. Many people can barely make it, as long as they have their jobs. Thus, rents will have to decline further, just like prices. It may take many years though, so anybody who is looking to buy will be very much disappointed.

However, there is a possibility for big downside, though it hinges on what happens on the Fed/State level as far as the budgets. There are absolutely no upside potential in the future given that the 'best' case scenario for housing is slow decline simply because of near guarantee of budget cuts in the future.
Beaumontv

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer:
I agree with you on the global securitization of the real estate market. One pending questions is whether mortgages with be transferable via MBS in the future. The new rules require that a bank hold onto its loans unless it meets very stringent requirements such as 30% down payments on the loans.

In the US 90% of all home loans are funded by Fannie and Freddie. So while I agree that easy money could pour in from Singapore, right now it appears that very little money is actually doing so.

Above the conforming limit, there appears to be a pervasive contaction in lending.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.