bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Most overpriced property?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Most overpriced property? Reply with quote

Hey we don't have a most overpriced property thread.

http://www.redfin.com/MA/Hudson/6-Hummock-Way-Sauta-Farm-01749/unit-40/home/28577459

I was horrified when I saw this one today. Don't tell me this isn't seller trying to cheat a buyer. 480K+ for a 55+ condo in Hudson (207psf) that doesn't look in any way spectacular, and is not even brand new so the buyer can benefit from some customizing. I gauge this to be a 360K property at current metrowest prices, and it really should be 180K when you take the whole of USA into perspective.

What's wrong with the people in greater boston, that someone will list properties so high, and worse, someone else will actually buy?
equityguard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:54 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Most overpriced property? Reply with quote

gdma wrote:
Hey we don't have a most overpriced property thread.

http://www.redfin.com/MA/Hudson/6-Hummock-Way-Sauta-Farm-01749/unit-40/home/28577459

I was horrified when I saw this one today. Don't tell me this isn't seller trying to cheat a buyer. 480K+ for a 55+ condo in Hudson (207psf) that doesn't look in any way spectacular, and is not even brand new so the buyer can benefit from some customizing. I gauge this to be a 360K property at current metrowest prices, and it really should be 180K when you take the whole of USA into perspective.

What's wrong with the people in greater boston, that someone will list properties so high, and worse, someone else will actually buy?

yea that's a good topic
macro markets has a good general tool to identify overpriced MSAs and property tiers
http://www.macromarkets.com/apps/gap_gauge/

for example:

atlanta low tier single family homes seem to be undervalued by 68% in the pre bubble annualised growth rate for that location is 4.96%
alternatively, more expansive, high tier properties in the same location seem to be 31% undervalued

on another hand, washington DC low tier seems to be overvalued by 20% or so, which is about the same as the high tier...which hasn't corrected enough to return below it's pre bubble price level

anyways...just another tool - a very general one
CC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:42 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sellers can always ask as high as they want or buyers can offer as low as they want, but that doesn't mean anything. Unfortunately not because they don't know the market, a lot of sellers THOUGHT they CAN"T lower their prices simply because they paid way much more during the boom. Remember just few years ago many people bought Natick Mall's condos for about one million dollars.

Usually an overpriced property just sits forever until the seller realizes the reality.
Roman B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Trolling Reply with quote

I used to see this a lot in southern New Hampshire and Maine. The jacked up price for a home (or condo) may reflect the owner is trolling for a bite. That is, the owner has no expectation to sell for the hyper-price and is in no rush to sell, but has simply tossed something out there to see what would happen.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a final stash of the so-called dumb money and these are the new real estate investment pools, forming between Australia and east Asia. The idea is that groups of individuals pour their savings into trust/mgmnt companies which then buy real estate in the US, Canada, and other 1st world markets. And so if one or more of these overpriced sales actually goes through, it might encourage others to keep the high markups going for longer.
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

International REITs are for suckers. I see these ads in financial magazines all the time. Nobody in their sane mind will buy into these trusts. Its mostly for brokers to sell to unsuspecting clients.

The main question here is, what is value?

In fact, value doesn't exist. Something can be under- or over-valued relative to something else (not in absolute terms). There is no reason for gold to be $1350 vs. $3000 - this is simply what the market price of gold is. It can go up to $3k or down to $300, and while an explanation can be retrofitted, this is what happens to volatile commodities - their price more often than not does NOT follow 'fundamentals', often confounding analysts and amateur forecasters. As long as there is easy money in Boston, people will pay any price they can. As long as there are mortages and interest rates are low, people will spend this type of money. It will get more rare in time - very few can afford it. But we are nowhere near that point. As long as there is a perception that houses are worth this much, people will pay. This is called 'anchoring' - you think that the past price is 'fair' because others paid it, and no amount of analysis can convince these people. Do you really think they actually try to figure out what the right price is? I don't think most people waste time on that, even if they could have a way of estimating a 'fair' price. In any case, 'fair' has to do with anchoring just as well, because we all know based on the national prices that Boston prices are far from 'fair'. So 'fair' in relation to Boston past prices? Again, anchoring, since those prices may not have been fair to begin with. Only when money runs out will prices suddenly correct, possibly over a relatively short period of time. They may never correct. But we all know the prices are far from fair given the price/income ratio. So the question is, given these prices, how can the buyers afford them? This may be part of the 'new normal' where people think that everything they earn can go to pay for the house. This is clearly a fragile situation that is not going to last forever.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
International REITs are for suckers

Nobody said that they weren't suckers. But if you think about it, there's a whole generation of *new* savings in Asia and the peddlers are out there pushing hard.

I've been hearing from persons, in those countries, about RE investment entrepreneurs gearing folks towards getting into the hot US and Canadian markets. BTW, didn't a banker in Dubai buy a couple of million dollar condos in Seattle, after seeing a drawing (not even completed) on the internet, without even bothering to check if the ground was broken?
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

[http://www.trulia.com/property/3041709795-6-Ledgelawn-Ave-Lexington-MA-02420]6 Ledgelawn Avenue, Lexington MA 02420[/url]

How about this one? Assessed at $500k. Small lot (.27acres). Only 1300sf and $410/sf. Kitchen needs remodeling. Professionally landscaped backyard, covered by snow. Would you buy this house? I think they're riding the avg Lexington stats but for a house like this you can go much cheaper (high 400s or low 500s).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.