bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Any insights into Weymouth market?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New to So. Shore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Any insights into Weymouth market? Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. Recently I moved to Weymouth and I like the neighborhoods that I've explored (North Weymouth, the Landing area). Housing seems very affordable here; some recent sales (2010) are similar to early 2000s prices. I've also seen some 6-figure haircuts from peak bubble prices (2004-2006).
I'm tempted to settle down here; I don't have or want kids so I'm not concerned about the schools. If I buy now, would I still be vastly overpaying? Is the area vulnerable to more price drops? In other words, what should a newbie to Weymouth know about this town?
Thanks so much for any advice you can offer. This site is great!
Brian C

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I bought in Quincy, I heavily looked in Weymouth back in 2008-09. The pricing was what initially got me interested in buying here but after looking at the homes, the housing stock was very poor for the money. For a little more money, you could find a nice pre-WWII home in nearby Braintree or newer construction in Holbrook. Quincy is a more value pick depending on what section of the city your looking in.

The issues I found about Weymouth that I felt hurt its value.
- Housing stock not up to date or established neighborhoods
- Nicer houses command too much
- Rely to much on Route 3 to travel out of town
- Have to deal with people from Hingham (you will found out Surprised )
- The HUGE drug problem, its very bad for a mid-sized town
- Tons of townies, been insulted many times because I live in Quincy
New to So. Shore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Brian C. Yeah, I've heard about the drug problems in Weymouth--that does give me pause. Also heard some stories about break-ins into both cars and houses.
I'm also looking in Quincy; it's hard because I'm not quite sure which neighborhoods to avoid.
Thanks for the Braintree tip, as well. I appreciate your help.
Bubblegum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:14 am GMT    Post subject: Weymouth vs Quincy vs Braintree Reply with quote

Anyone else with comments? I've been looking at these 3 towns as well. It seems as the South Shore has few affordable areas with decent schools vs the North Shore.

On the North Shore you have Lynnfield, Reading, N. Reading, Wakefield, and a few others that have good schools and "affordable" houses (300K-450K).

On the South Shore, good luck....Hingham, Cohasset, Norwell are too expensive for the most part. Hanover is getting a little too far south. So I'm interested in the comparison of these 3 towns as well.
Brian C

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to So. Shore wrote:
Thanks, Brian C. Yeah, I've heard about the drug problems in Weymouth--that does give me pause. Also heard some stories about break-ins into both cars and houses.
I'm also looking in Quincy; it's hard because I'm not quite sure which neighborhoods to avoid.
Thanks for the Braintree tip, as well. I appreciate your help.

The areas you want to live in Quincy
Merrymount (this is where I am, its more money but worth it)
Squantum - beautiful area, 360 views of Boston and the harbor. Only one road in & out. More money than Merrymount to live here.
Wollaston - Very large area of Quincy. Its a mixed bag on good/bad areas. Further away from the T stops, the better.
North Quincy - Value pick, but housing stock isn't as good
West Quincy - on the Milton side is very nice but it becomes bad pretty quick as you get closer to the highway and near Centre St.

For a city of 90,000 people, there are plenty of good houses here. As for schools, they are very good till you get them into high school.

If you need suggestions on houses in Quincy, I can help.
New to So. Shore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful advice, Brian C. I really appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.