bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

New site: homeequityguard.com please comment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homeequityguard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:11 am GMT    Post subject: New site: homeequityguard.com please comment Reply with quote

Hi everybody. I am new to the board.
I think you have a wonderful community going on.

The reason why I'm here is because we share an interest. I'm commercializing an innovative new financial product that helps homeowners manage their exposure to property price declines.

The product is described at homeequityguard.com/how_it_works/

If possible, I would like some critique and comment and what we are doing.

Thank you,

Home Equity Guard
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:58 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I proposed such a product in 2005. My coworkers laughed at me and said they would gladly take that deal. That being said, this company is getting a great deal. If home prices go up, then they get to keep the 3%. If they go down, then I'm guessing they'll just declare bankruptcy. Insurance without regulation is worthless.
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with almost any insurance product with 'guarantees', the terms are almost always (except when the issuer made an honest mistake) better for the issuer, especially if this is a product that relies on many people buying it to offset the risk of payouts to claimants. Just like all types of annuity and life insurance products, there are always conditions under which you lose (or don't make) money. The best way to evaluate these products is to compare them to a simple CD or a bond, and to see what happens in all possible scenarios. It almost always turns out that in a small percentage of outcomes you can make money, but usually, these are quite rare, and you can usually catch the 'upside' in other ways rather than by using the product. For example, you can catch the upside of the housing market with REITs (that don't cost you anything, though REITs are volatile, however, not much more volatile than a leveraged S&P Case Schiller index). The downside (probably will correspond to a stock market downside) is mitigated better in CDs and bonds. The housing risk is mitigated not by buying an insurance type product, but rather by

1) Financing at most 50% (decreasing the leverage as much as possible)
2) Having your house represent a small fraction of your portfolio (the smaller the better, but not 100% or even 50%)
3) Having adequate cash reserves to cover the mortgage if needed, and and being able to have enough savings to not have to sell when you lose your job.

Follow the above, and you won't need to buy extra insurance. Pay yourself instead.
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annuities are useful in some situations - like to cover expenses past median life expectancy or due to their tax status - but in general I agree they are good at generating fees and even the second benefit is really money from Uncle Sam, not the product itself. You can also get insurance indirectly by hedging against the risk factors through options. However, these have become a lucrative business for banks, who may not pay out in time of need.

Speaking of leverage, why are you and I the only ones who recognize that home price to income is an important ratio? Everyone seems to be focused on monthly payment to monthly income. I've looked hard on Google and can't even find much on the topic. The first ratio is important, IMO, for two reasons. First, it prevents a home from becoming a significant portion of your portfolio, which is especially important since it isn't diversified. A bad storm or a T line in your backyard can cause huge swings in value. Second, it ensures that if you need to sell and move and prices have gone down there's a good chance you can come up with the savings. I stick by 3x income, which is actually considered aggressive in many parts of the country.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:

Speaking of leverage, why are you and I the only ones who recognize that home price to income is an important ratio?

I recognize it too. In addition to your points, focusing on monthly payments also doesn't work well if your down payment is larger than normal.

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. I want a formula that always works. In fact, to make the formula complete, I believe the 4th condition is to establish a price/earnings ratio. But this ratio only works in conjunction with having adequate resources/downpayment/emergency savings.
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Americans for most of the past century were generally concerned about spending too much money on houses on an absolute basis. Likely the housing bubble combined with general unaffordability using these metrics and low interest have changed the way Americans shop. Unless these conditions change then I think it is likely that American housing will never voluntarily leave bubble conditions and significant risk will persist from housing.
CL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 - I was born outside of US so don't have the historical perspective, but just curious, when is the last time Boston area has price to income ratio of 3x?
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote suspect because I'm not all that old so it may not be true. I haven't looked at figures but I expect that the 3x ratio was respected in Boston in the 70s, when interest rates were high and before the rapid growth of the 80s. Anyone confirm? I would bet, though, that the ratio was close to that even before interest rates were high though.
john p

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in the early 1990s's in that big Recession where people lost their jobs houses were selling pretty cheap and they stayed flat for like almost a decade just prior to the Bubble.

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/affordability/massachusetts/boston/

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/02/us-existing-house-price-median-family-income/

Notice, late 1990's.

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2007/06/11/home_costs_stay_beyond_reach_of_many/
homeequityguard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:07 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
I proposed such a product in 2005. My coworkers laughed at me and said they would gladly take that deal. That being said, this company is getting a great deal. If home prices go up, then they get to keep the 3%. If they go down, then I'm guessing they'll just declare bankruptcy. Insurance without regulation is worthless.

interesting point. thumbs up.
homeequityguard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:31 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:

To add to your point, yes, we're bearish on Case Shiller Index
We think that housing prices are going to decline by at least 25% between 2010-2015. Obviously, we have sufficient risk management pocedures in place to meet all of our liabilities when this happens.

As far as housing goes, things are going to get worse before they get better.
GenXer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

homeequityguard wrote:
To add to your point, yes, we're bearish on Case Shiller Index. We think that housing prices are going to decline by at least 25% between 2010-2015. Obviously, we have sufficient risk management pocedures in place to meet all of our liabilities when this happens.

Say it ain't so. I've been saying this since I joined the forum. I think the bleeding will continue, maybe at a slower pace, but the only thing that this will do is it will make things worse.

Now imagine if interest rates (ever) rise? And rise fast? I guess this probably won't happen, but then we are in a deflation, huge unemployment, etc. Won't be pretty in either scenario.

I like to compare Case Shiller to a running average of S&P500 index. Also, given that there is a lot of leverage behind the prices in the Case Shiller index, this argument boils down to this: volatility of housing prices is on par with the stock market volatility.

Also, the liquidity issue can lead to huge tracking errors - your house price may be out of whack by almost anything, so if the index only falls say 10%, and your house price falls 50%, this can not be a good thing. You can not really hedge a single stock by using the S&P500 index - you will have to buy the index to hedge it with an index-based product. This is one thing that I was wondering about.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

homeequityguard wrote:

We think that housing prices are going to decline by at least 25% between 2010-2015. Obviously, we have sufficient risk management pocedures in place to meet all of our liabilities when this happens.

Have you considered selling futures contracts on the index? If my understanding is correct, you would make a decent amount of money doing that if the index did decline 25%, at least for the Boston futures.

- admin
homeequityguard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
homeequityguard wrote:

Have you considered selling futures contracts on the index? If my understanding is correct, you would make a decent amount of money doing that if the index did decline 25%, at least for the Boston futures.

- admin

yes, index derivatives derivatives are part of our overall risk management strategy

shame about cme. that market's in the doldrums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.