bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Calculator Feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucidguppy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:52 am GMT    Post subject: Calculator Feedback Reply with quote

I've made a housing affordability calculator

https://houseafford.appspot.com

Please try it out and let me know what you think.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as completeness goes, I think one major expense that could be added to the calculator is resale expense. That is, transaction costs at resale time and possibly loss of equity too. I know this is moot if you manage to stay there forever, but the average owning period in the US is 7 years, and the need to move isn't always foreseeable in advance, so it can help to plan for that possibility.

As for the usability of the calculator, I think it would benefit from some pre-filling. Once the sale price is entered, you could take a guess at the down payment, upkeep, insurance, and perhaps taxes too. Perhaps there could also be a smaller entry field next to each of those with a percentage in it, that being the percentage of the sale price. Changing the percentage would automatically change the associated dollar value and vice versa. This would obviously suggest the addition of JavaScript to the calculator, which I realize is a significant change.

The mortgage interest rate could potentially be pre-filled too with a recent market average. Separately from that, it would also probably help to indicate what the terms of the mortgage are. Does the calculator assume a 30 year fixed rate mortgage?

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... maybe add a line for condo fees too, to make it easier to use for a condo.

- admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I would like to see changed:
1) What do you mean by 'Tax savings'? Is that the tax rate, the standard deduction, or something else.
2) I think asking for estimated utilities goes beyond the 33% housing allotment. I included all utilities including cell phones and cable the first time and learned that apparently I cannot even afford the appartment I am renting. It took me by surprise since I am putting 15% of my income into savings each month.
3) It would be nice if you could go back an edit just one field. To go back and remove my cell phone and cable bills from the utilities line, I had to fill in each field again. It would be nice to be able to tweak amounts.
lucidguppy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "tax savings" item was the money you would get back from all the deductions you've made in one year.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's really good stuff.

Now I just have to learn javascript.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.