bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Strategic Default

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Strategic Default Reply with quote

I'm listening to a Planet Money podcast about strategic default, and it's got me thinking. When I do buy a house, would I be better off making a small down payment?

I've been planning on putting 20% down so I can avoid mortgage insurance and pay less interest over the life of the loan. But what about the idea of putting the minimum down, and leaving myself the option of strategic default? I've been putting off buying a house for fear of the worst case scenarios. Leaving the door open for strategic default would insure against losing my life's savings if some of the more dire scenarios occur.

I'm thinking the downside of the small down payment would be several thousand dollars in insurance and interest, while the downside of the big down payment could be many tens of thousands.

I know that one's ability to pull off a strategic default depends largely on state law, and whether the bank can sue you for walking away from the house. I know you aren't lawyers, but does anybody know (broadly speaking) if Mass is a state where it works?

Once the housing market and the US economy got on more secure footing, I would pay down the mortgage with the money I had saved for the 20% down.

I'm not interested in the morality of walking away right now. I'll cross that bridge once I decide if it makes sense financially.
CL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a good idea to put a small down payment. There are several reasons.

- As far as I understand, MA is a recourse state which means the banks can go after your assets other than your home if your mortgage is delinquent.

- Putting down a low downpayment makes it harder to refinance should deflation scenario plays out and mortgage rate remains low, or even drop further

- Low downpayment also means buying mortgage insurance, which is real monthly expense and can run up pretty quickly.

My advice is if 20% down payment represent all your life saving, then you should save a bit more, or consider buying a smaller house. Hopefully you can have 20% down payment and 1-3 year living expense when you buy. That will give you a better cushion to ride out the market cycle.
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as I understand, MA is a recourse state which means the banks can go after your assets other than your home if your mortgage is delinquent.

Yeah, just did some googling. MA is a recourse state. Thanks for pointing out the correct term (recourse state).

That makes the rest of this conversation academic at this point, since I'll put down 20%.

Quote:
Putting down a low downpayment makes it harder to refinance should deflation scenario plays out and mortgage rate remains low, or even drop further

Hard to imagine rates going much lower, but point taken.

Quote:
Low downpayment also means buying mortgage insurance, which is real monthly expense and can run up pretty quickly.

Agreed.

Quote:
My advice is if 20% down payment represent all your life saving, then you should save a bit more, or consider buying a smaller house. Hopefully you can have 20% down payment and 1-3 year living expense when you buy. That will give you a better cushion to ride out the market cycle.

Calling it my life savings is a bit of hyperbole. I'd still have enough for a few years of living expenses. But it's enough of my life savings that I'd like to avoid losing it Wink
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hopefully you can have 20% down payment and 1-3 year living expense when you buy.

Well, considering that 20% these days is $100K and 3 years of expenses is probably another $100K, that sounds like an awful lot of money.
john p

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it for strategic default, but loan remodification is something else.

We did a 5% down payment so that we could have more cash reserves for an emergency fund.

My wife got laid off so it was peace of mind that we had that cash available. Thankfully, we didn't need to draw from it, but it certainly gave us peace of mind. She's back to work with a better, higher paying job; so that is all good.

Best of luck and happy hunting.
CL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renting in Mass - glad to hear about the cushion for living expenses. From my vantage point, there are enough well-respected economists arguing for the deflation case that I would not dismiss the possibility.

Boston ITer - 200K is indeed a lot of money. Doesn't mean you don't need it if you want to be financially prudent. Which is the reason why in a lot of countries other than US (especially countries that has been burnt by housing bubble before - Japan, Hong Kong, etc) young people live with the parents longer and save like hell for that downpayment.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
200K is indeed a lot of money. Doesn't mean you don't need it if you want to be financially prudent.

CL, I'm looking at it from another angle... if one's got $100K of seed capital, apart from the 2-3 years emergency fund, wouldn't it be better to use that for a future self-employment type of business/operation than in an illiquid, non-incoming generating asset like a single family home, esp with the 1.8:1 mortgage:rent ratio of metro Boston?
Renting in Mass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:46 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From my vantage point, there are enough well-respected economists arguing for the deflation case that I would not dismiss the possibility.
]

I agree that deflation is possible, but aren't we close to the lower bound for mortgage rates? The Fed fund rate is at .25 and the government is purchasing trillions in mortgages. How would deflation decrease rates further?
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:49 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boston ITer wrote:

Well, considering that 20% these days is $100K and 3 years of expenses is probably another $100K, that sounds like an awful lot of money.

$200k earning near 0% interest rates, all while housing prices are rising again! 3 years is a bit extreme don't you think? Even in this scenario, considering that unemployment insurance would cover most of the bills, you'd only need like half or a third of that.
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortgage rates could still go down. The government could just swoop in and replace the free market rather than driving it down and offer whatever interest they like. I think mortgage rates in Japan are something like 1 or 2% but they've had deflation for a long time. It looks like the US is determined to do whatever it takes to keep that from happening but it is still possible.
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having $100k of emergency money is a start. You don't know whether it is 1-3 years expenses, or a 1 month of a very expensive lawyer, or a very expensive hospital stay. This is why it is called 'emergency' money. Having a downmpayment should be on top of that - otherwise, you are magnifying your risk in a multiplicative fashion (that is, risk doesn't add when SHTF - it multiplies). Having a house AND no savings is a recipe for disaster.

As far as having money for a business, this should be yet another bucket. Of course it would be better to start a business instead of buying a house. If your business is successful, you'll buy a house later. If not, well, back to the drawing board, but it is better to take risks while fully protected.

As far as 0% rates, this is peanuts. The payoff is much higher keeping the money in cash. If inflation is 10% in the future, AND the house prices are flat to down with high unemployemnt, you would be happy to have an opportunity to meet or beat inflation by investing at higher interest rates. So from that point of view, investing in a risky asset which can lose a lot of value vs. guanranteed small 'loss' due to inflation (which is 0 officially, though not really) is a no-brainer.
CL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer has a point - having a home, on its own, means added risk for sudden cash need. Frozen pipes, busted boilers, etc. Who knows. For that reason, 3 yr living expense is not that extreme I think. Liquidity is something you remember only when you don't have it. Plus when making big investment decision, I typically love having more margin of error.

For buying a home vs. starting a small business, I don't think it's a apple to apple comparison. Just 2 different animals. And remember, the cash flow need for a small business is very unpredictable. It can range from being the next google to literally bankrupt you. Also, starting a small business is a lot of time committment. So personally I will stick to do the rent vs buy comparison, then do the salary job vs small business comparison.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For buying a home vs. starting a small business, I don't think it's a apple to apple comparison. Just 2 different animals.

From a particular angle, it's more similar than you'd think.

For instance, one of the reasons why a person rents is mobility. In my favorite example, that great job in Houston can materialize at a much higher probability than let's say an equivalent job in Boston. A renter, in that case, can pack up and move to Houston in the time it takes to pack one's bags/boxes. A homeowner suddenly loses that career option and is hoping to survive in a more white collar rust belt-like area. That's opportunity cost, right there.

And as for small business, it could be as simple as having an options/futures trading account or a small part-time consulting service where one may need to pay for one's travel expenses, periodically, since billing cycles tend to be 3 to 6 mos apart. Likewise, there may be some industry certification requirements, etc. All these things cost money and when that money is stuck in real estate (plus that emergency fund), it's not working for you.

When I add up the big picture here, I see a huge amount of capital, $200K, being held ransom by a stagnant, high mark up housing market with a sagging white collar job market. Instead, if that money were allowed to flow more freely: part-time self-employment, investment/trading, job hopping Bos-Hous, etc, than it's a better way to survive in uncertain times rather than in the prayer that everything works out in the end and that 20 yrs down the road, the Boston area is replenished with a new EMC, a new Boston Scientific, and is the white collar capital of the northeast, once again. I believe our best days are behind us. The next generation will not know that from 1965 to 2000, that the Boston area was one of the world's greatest workshops. I remember the old sayings, from when I was a kid, "A job at { John Hancock, Polaroid, Gillette } was a job for life". Well, those firms are gone today and I'm not even a senior citizen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.