bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Housing market in 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If housing is dependent on government support, then war should be one of your biggest concerns. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that a significant war in the near could plunge the US into a deeper depression than has ever been seen before. Wars are expensive and that would drive up the borrowing cost for America. That would drive up the deficit because we rely on rolling debt. We'd likely start printing money to make up for it which would likely further decentralize the world from the dollar and kill businesses who can't keep up with the change. The price of oil would surge, which alone could cause a repeat of the 70s except probably worse at this point now that everyone depends on cheap products coming from China via Amazon to their homes rather than the store down the street. And that's assuming that there's no real physical damage to American assets or interests! I don't know what you should do if you think a real war is coming but I know it won't be good for housing.

I'll grant you that housing is a vital part of the American economy but it still has to compete with other, at least equally vital and/or politically necessary things: oil/energy, healthcare, education, infrastructure, social security, municipal defaults, natural disasters, etc. We simply can't know at this point how Americans and politicians will make hard decisions. I suppose in some ways it depends on how bad those other things get but they can make bank and housing problems look easy. I also don't think that supporting housing is the only way to save the economy - more direct infusions of cash to banks and the Fed would also work (in fact, isn't there a bill floating around that does just that - offers an unlimited amount of money to GSEs? what do you think politicians are planning here?).
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

melonrightcoast wrote:

Quote:
admin wrote:

By "nationally", I meant that if The Fed wants to do everything in its power to stop further price declines, it will target prices at the national level - it won't intervene on behalf of local markets if most loans have stabilized nationally.

I don't know about that. There is a national reason to do so, and it is the major national banks. An example of this is recourse states vs. non-recourse states. Price declines in non-recourse states (CA, FL, TX) are (generally) much higher than in recourse states, and that cannot be good for the national banks' bottom lines. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of federal legislation/law superseding states laws about non-recourse laws. Or at least some attempt by the banks to do so.

CA, FL, and TX aren't "local" in the sense that I was referring to. My point was that The Fed isn't going to intervene to prop up prices in Newton if the rest of the country is under control. I don't know where the cutoff in granularity is, I'm just saying that an implicit government floor on prices would not save 100% of all neighborhoods or homes.

- admin
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We'd likely start printing money to make up for it which would likely further decentralize the world from the dollar and kill businesses who can't keep up with the change. The price of oil would surge, which alone could cause a repeat of the 70s except probably worse at this point now that everyone depends on cheap products coming from China via Amazon to their homes rather than the store down the street.

All and all, it bodes well for your home state of Texas, whose fundamentals include low->to->no taxes, oil patch industries, tech (w/ defense contract slant), and reasonable housing costs. And even without a long standing guerrilla war in Asia, the govt will still need to print money to pay its bills. I guess I'm a housing bull for Houston, long term.
CL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin - agreed with your point, and I think government help likely is in the form of preventing flood of foreclosure from hitting market thus the higher priced area (Newton, W towns, Brookline, Needham, etc) will not be helped as much.
CL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas has no income tax and lower cost of living, but has around 2-3% property tax. So if you have a 400K house and 75K salary in TX and 500K house and 100K salary in MA (account for higher cost of living but higher salary as well), your tax bill is more or less the same.

Of course, if you find a kick ass high inomce job in TX and keep renting and happy in that lifestyle, you get the best of both world.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if you have a 400K house and 75K salary in TX and 500K house and 100K salary in MA (account for higher cost of living but higher salary as well), your tax bill is more or less the same.

It's more stark than that. With $350K, you'll find a nicer place than for $500K around Boston.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/Houston/11635-oak-valley-dr:56981eb4572aef1b2abe25d97c368c8

4 Bdrm/4Bth/3100 Sq Ft at $330K is unheard of around here. So that $75K salary will go much further than a ~$100K salary around here. And I believe that if you have a separated futures/stock trading system, you can add a conservative $25K per annum on top of one's full time salary. This is something I do on the side. So in effect, you can have a low level "high life" in Houston vs being a wage slave, eating out a Chili's/Border Cafe, in MA.
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

CL - I did the comparison with Austin earlier if you remember. The taxes on a $400k home were roughly comparable to that of an $800k home here and I was looking in the most expensive area. Real estate taxes vary by area there as well. Sales tax is a little higher there but there's no state income tax, short term cap gains tax, excise tax, etc. And Boston ITer is correct that the prices of comparable homes down there are roughly 1/2 - 1/4 what they are here (1/2 -1/3 for Austin, 1/3 - 1/4 for San Antonio/Houston). The income difference isn't quite as large as you suggest. It's more like $100k vs $85k - $90k (10% - 15% drop).
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

BostonITer - what's your email address? You don't seem to have a username w/email listed.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I guess I've been a guest for too long. I'm registered now. Smile
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the US doesn't end up like the scenario below, I think we'll trudge through somehow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TL4XZdyo3g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.