bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Fed is buying mortgage securities to keep rate low, but...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:28 am GMT    Post subject: Fed is buying mortgage securities to keep rate low, but...? Reply with quote

I heard Fed is buying mortgage securities to keep the rate low, but how do they sell those in the future? They can't keep buying forever. So who will buy their mortgage security products anyway, or to whom they can sell?

I really don't get it. Any idea?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't need to sell, do they? They could hold them to maturity, hypothetically speaking.

They could also discount them far enough that they would actually be worth buying. That wouldn't be such a great deal for tax payers and savers holding dollars... which means that's probably what they'll do.

- admin
mpr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:53 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Fed is buying mortgage securities to keep rate low, but. Reply with quote

CC wrote:
I heard Fed is buying mortgage securities to keep the rate low, but how do they sell those in the future? They can't keep buying forever. So who will buy their mortgage security products anyway, or to whom they can sell?

I really don't get it. Any idea?

On the contrary there is nothing to prevent them buying forever (although
I dont predict that) and there is no particular reason they need to sell.

They might sell some of these at some future point for example during
market operations to raise interest rates.

Also, I have to point out that these purchases are not a cost to taxpayers,
although they may represent a cost to savers if the Fed actions eventually
trigger inflation.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Fed is buying mortgage securities to keep rate low, but. Reply with quote

mpr wrote:

They do represent at least an opportunity cost if they are paying more than the market price, and that is indeed what they are doing. They are getting less of an asset than what they are paying for.

- admin
john p

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about that. Think about how the top 15% of wage earners pay 85% of the amount of taxes and the bottom 50% pay 2% of the cost of government. The government is forcing the percentage of citizens who pay taxes to overpay for an asset. Wait, that is really buying down a liability right? This approach is kind of like a Union. The younger union members get screwed and pay hefty dues to pay for the older ones and the younger ones won't get a return on their investment. It isn't very different to a criminal "Street Tax" where you don't get an opportunity to practice unless you buy a thug off. Now the Unions are pushing to get this law passed where you don't get a private ballot. Chicago Style.. you'll see the wimps voting "Present". They want to make sure that they know who to intimidate. The prior generation went on a feeding frenzy and left the young to pick up the tab.
mpr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:33 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Fed is buying mortgage securities to keep rate low, but. Reply with quote

admin wrote:
mpr wrote:

They do represent at least an opportunity cost if they are paying more than the market price, and that is indeed what they are doing. They are getting less of an asset than what they are paying for.

- admin

What opportunity cost ? They create the money needed to pay for it
as a bookkeeping entry. You could certainly argue that it is a windfall
for the holders of mbs, but if they weren't doing it interest rates in general
would be higher which would be bad for the economy in general.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Fed is buying mortgage securities to keep rate low, but. Reply with quote

mpr wrote:

as a bookkeeping entry.

That money isn't free. It leads to inflationary pressures, as you pointed out earlier.

mpr wrote:

You could certainly argue that it is a windfall

Yes, interest rates are lower in the near term, but the cost may end up being higher interest rates in the long term, due to inflation. It may end up increasing the average interest rate of the period of time that it affects, which could be worse for the economy. I am not predicting that this is what will necessarily happen, I'm just saying that creation of money to overpay for assets is not without a serious potential downside.

- admin
mpr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:39 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Fed is buying mortgage securities to keep rate low, but. Reply with quote

admin wrote:
mpr wrote:

as a bookkeeping entry.

That money isn't free. It leads to inflationary pressures, as you pointed out earlier.

mpr wrote:

You could certainly argue that it is a windfall

Yes, interest rates are lower in the near term, but the cost may end up being higher interest rates in the long term, due to inflation. It may end up increasing the average interest rate of the period of time that it affects, which could be worse for the economy. I am not predicting that this is what will necessarily happen, I'm just saying that creation of money to overpay for assets is not without a serious potential downside.

- admin

Unfortunately in the situation we're in there is no course of action
which is without a serious potential downside. I'm sympathetic to
the argument which says save the patient now and worry about
the consequences later.

I also have difficulty believing that we will not eventually get inflation
out of this, but that may not be such a bad outcome, depending on
how it is managed and the circumstances in which it occurs.
balor123

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

inflation is just as bad if not worse than deflation. Better to limp now than paralyze later. Low interest rates transfer wealth from tomorrow to those today. It is simply wealth distribution from those who cant vote yet to those who can, like government debt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.