bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Subprime Problems & Stock Market effects on sales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamChady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Subprime Problems & Stock Market effects on sales Reply with quote

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/b0547428-d191-11db-b921-000b5df10621.html

As a future buyer, this stuff really scares me. With the lenders getting hammered in the stock market, an increase in default payments leading to more foreclosures, I am concerned that this will even put more properties on the market at low prices.

I do think in the long run this is a net positive - we need some regulation here to control predatory loaning practices (I can't believe I am saying this with my libertarian leanings - but I really think that these companies can do such harm with their practices that its in our best interest overall to not let them do it).

I actually had a guy tell me at the peak of the market that real estate does not go down, its been going up 20%, so get an interest only loan on an absurd amount, and then just sit back and enjoy your gains. That is simply evil.

What do people think will happen in Boston? Any way to see the foreclosure trends or the number of them entering the market?
AgentGrn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:39 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the exception of some parts of the high end market, prices are going to have to fall.

The subprime lending oasis as we've known it will not exist too much longer. This means a return to proper lending standards (gasp!), which will make it harder for people to refinance out of bad loans, and will severely cut off the cash flow to new entrants into the market.

Save for that downpayment if you haven't done so already! Smile
samchady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:30 pm GMT    Post subject: more problems with a crash from the lending fallout Reply with quote

http://www.reuters.com/articlePrint?articleId=USL1470530620070314

Well, this article scares me greatly. I am sitting on the sidelines, with a down payment of 20% ready, but not going to do it until this mess is better understood.

I really worry that with the glut of new condo's in Boston and Cambridge coming on the market later this year, all the inventory that has been sitting around, the reduction in buyers because of loan restrictions (needs to happen of course), and the record numbers of defaults and foreclosures, we're going to see prices fall further.
AgentGrn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a scary read.

However, even though things peaked in 2005, there doesn't seem to have been a whole lot of meaningful price reductions ... not on the surface anyway. I think the subprime bust will contribute significantly to the downward pressure once people are only allowed to buy what they can truly afford. Combine that with the people already in over their heads, and there's going to be a glut in the market like never heard of before.

It's great to hear you have that 20%! It might not be a bad idea to keep adding to that downpayment, so that 20% now is an easy 50% or more when the right opportunity comes along.
samchady

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:43 pm GMT    Post subject: downpayment Reply with quote

I response to your statement about 50%, and this is OT, and probably deserves its own thread, but I have read a lot and run the numbers, and don't see it as worthwhile to put any more than 20% down.

Why?

Because your interest is tax deductible, and then you can invest the other money even in something safe, and you will be ahead.

6% interest is really less by your tax bracket, so its closer to 4% after taxes.

So if my invested money earns equal to 6%, I break-even after taxes. The stock market has returned a greater percentage than has housing historically, so I am making my bet there. I have a lot in cash at 5%, and the rest in a balanced portfolio, and I am averaging more than 6%.

I hear some people say that yes, I am right, but paying down your house is a risk-free 6% (or 4% after taxes) savings because their is zero risk since the rate is fixed and you cannot lose, and my investments have more risk to them. I counter this with a lot in cash at 5% to hedge it.

Thoughts?

Another wrinkle in this is that I work from home and take the home office deduction. I have always rented, so its easy, but I don't know if you can both depreciate the % that you own and deduct the mortgage both. So, having a larger payment might give me a higher business expense. On this I have to do more reading as I could be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.