bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Demographics may lead to lower house prices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCK

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:

It is safe to say that with hindsight everything becomes predictable. We have no idea what will happen, and betting your future on a prediction is reckless and prone to negative surprises.

Of course, but we have to do something. We have to buy, or we have to rent. I agree with your larger point that you shouldn't buy more than you can afford, or bet all of your money (retirement) on housing. That being said, a decision to buy or to rent is a bet one way or the other. You have to make some sort of guess, unless you're planning on living in a tent.

I don't think we really disagree. I'm just saying that stating "we can't know anything at all because the future is unpredictable and random" doesn't really help the debate. Making this observation does not help me make a decision either way.[/i]
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's an academic debate, unless you have the cash on hand. Would the person in the 1970s have been better off saving cash, waiting to buy, and continuing to rent, or buying in at 20% down?

In 1970, I'd be either doing a part-time masters to get a promotion at { Teradyne, DEC } or an actuarial associate cert/exams at { John Hancock, Lib Mutual } with no concerns about my future earning capability so hence, I'd buy a house. Back then, a reasonably bright person never needed to worry about downward mobility. Today, I have no such assurances besides job loss and having to move to find equivalent work.
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK: My argument is that it all depends on your financial situation. Otheriwe it would be too easy and everybody would make the right decision Wink

Just because its not an easy decision doesn't mean we have to make the wrong one. Lets not throw our hands up saying everything is random, so we are forced to decide. It doesn't matter what ELSE is random, but this is the biggest financial decision we'll make, probably ever. So, knowing that we can not rely on house prices is actually a good thing. This makes us more prudent with our money, if anything.

I think it is an individual decision - whether to buy or not. It depends on how well you are off financially, and of course, you have to make some sort of projections of your income into the future. But knowning that nothing is certain MUST play a role in your decision. This is why if anything, 3x income is a must. Yes, renting may not be as comfortable, but it is better to lack in comfort than to lack in means. We are a creature of the present, and nothing I am saying here will convince some people, but others may actually listen and take this into account.
JCK

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
JCK: My argument is that it all depends on your financial situation. Otheriwe it would be too easy and everybody would make the right decision Wink

I agree. There's a lot of wrong conventional wisdom. Admin's example with the "is worth it to pay cash" analysis is good way to look at things (and one I hadn't really considered). And your point about affordability is always a good reminder.

I'm just trying to take things one step beyond that. It's (relatively) easy to eliminate a scope of bad decisions from the table (and there are a lot out there), but then what's a good decision look like? What do you look at that says "I should buy now" or "I should rent now, save some money, and buy later."

What are the criteria people are using. If, like admin suggests, we should look at the cash purchase scenario, should we do a cap rate analysis, i.e., ask what I'd make by buying the place with cash and renting it out to myself, vs. taking that money and investing it elsewhere while renting? What points in time is it worth taking into account possible appreciation of home values? Or it is always a foolish exercise to consider that your place might increase in value?
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenX, I'm completely on the same page as you, concerning buying vs renting.

Where I depart, a little, is that I don't believe that only hindsight is 20/20, sometimes one's foresight could be just as good. For one, the different between equities/ETF, bonds, currencies, etc and let's say real estate is that of middle class carry costs.

Aside from futures contracts, the regular stock trader seldom carries more than a 2 to 1 margin on any position and likewise, even leveraged options are simply premium costs, kinda like a value-added transaction fee. Houses, however, are 5 times an annual income, something which for the average person, is hard to get a grasp on... basically decades of one's savings.

So with the above in mind, homeownership is more than just a mere risk but a systemic one. I think I'd much rather have $10K worth of options expire worthless, at the end of a year, than $100K upside down on my mortgage. At least those $10K worth of failed options trades gives me a chance to live to fight another day.
balor123

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obama is right - debt is the oil in our economic engine. The problem with debt is not only does it allow the engine to continue to run but it can also act as the source of energy for this engine. I don't think we need 5x income to keep the engine moving. We need maybe 1-2x income for that purpose (cost of construction, something in virtually infinite supply). Anything more than that primarily just transfers wealth from buyers to sellers. Another analogy would be sports. You can give one athelete steroids and that person will perform well but if you give them to all competitiors no one really benefits.
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:04 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the criteria people are using. If, like admin suggests, we should look at the cash purchase scenario, should we do a cap rate analysis, i.e., ask what I'd make by buying the place with cash and renting it out to myself, vs. taking that money and investing it elsewhere while renting? What points in time is it worth taking into account possible appreciation of home values? Or it is always a foolish exercise to consider that your place might increase in value?

Some people simply want to buy a house regardless. Some people want to wait until prices fall. Basically, when it comes to buying a house (and again, that still depends on your personal situation), here are some of the things I look at (assuming you want to buy a house for whatever reason):

1) Possibility that you can lose your job. In that case, what is your price per income ratio? Can you handle the payment on one income?
2) Amount of savings after you actually buy the house
3) Amount you have allocated to investments (different from savings)
4) How much you are able to contribute towards retirement
5) Future events which can put a dent in your savings plans (i.e. college expenses for kids)
6) Unforeseen costs associated with the house. Do you have a good house budget with the cost breakdown (with a good margin).
7) Do you have a good long term investment plan (with a decent margin built in as well)?
8 ) And of course, good old rent vs. buy, which I assume everybody here does anyway

I can not separate the purchase of a house from a good financial plan - it is a major part of one. As you can see, all of these are individual questions, and no single answer fits two people. Each of the above is not a deciding factor (though for you they may be, depending on your circumstances), but together the picture becomes clearer. You can not assume 'in your favor'. It has to be realistic and honest.

There is no value for a 'long term' financial analysis, since the longer the forecast, the less accurate it is. I find many problems with rent vs. buy calculators, future 'projections' of investment returns, as well as projecting future house prices. All this is nonsense and can not be used in a decent financial plan.

The decision to buy should probably hinge on affordability. If you find what you like, and you can afford it (i.e. by doing a detailed budget and considering the above, which means a lot of work and planning), then there is no reason you shouldn't buy it. If everything balances out, and under the worst case scenario you are coming out way ahead, buy the house. Nobody can foresee everything, but if you have most of your 'bases' covered, you'll probably end up fine.

It appears that most people do not have a plan, but rather a bunch of little 'plans' in response to events or markets. You can always tweak a plan if you have one, but if you do not, you will be constantly confused about what to do next when the markets change yet again. You should have a good plan in place, and then anything like buying a house will fit into your plan naturally (as opposed to planning everything around your house purchase, usually after the fact, and usually in response to some distress).

I tell all my clients that their investment portfolios should be the source of retirement income, not a house. Most people know even less (than they think they know) about investments than about houses. This is a list of rules of thumb (at least to me) that I compiled:

http://litovskymanagement.com/faq.php#tab_1
eyablon

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: a house is a nest egg Reply with quote

admin wrote:
JCK wrote:

In a rising price environment, having (a) a leveraged investment tied to inflation and (b) a fixed monthly payment is a wonderful thing.

That is true in some respects, though I'm not sure that the leverage provided a positive benefit, apart from making the purchase possible to begin with. If mortgage rates exceeded inflation (and I believe they did most of the time), you would have been better off paying cash rather than using leverage.

- admin

Can you explain how this follows? My understanding is that as long as the return on an alternative investment (i.e. stocks) is higher than the mortgage rate (and the real mortgage rate is likely affected by a tax deduction) then you would be better off leveraging and using the available cash to buy that alternative investment rather than using it to buy the house outright. What am I missing here? Did I misunderstand you?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:09 am GMT    Post subject: Re: a house is a nest egg Reply with quote

eyablon wrote:
admin wrote:
JCK wrote:

In a rising price environment, having (a) a leveraged investment tied to inflation and (b) a fixed monthly payment is a wonderful thing.

That is true in some respects, though I'm not sure that the leverage provided a positive benefit, apart from making the purchase possible to begin with. If mortgage rates exceeded inflation (and I believe they did most of the time), you would have been better off paying cash rather than using leverage.

- admin

Can you explain how this follows? My understanding is that as long as the return on an alternative investment (i.e. stocks) is higher than the mortgage rate (and the real mortgage rate is likely affected by a tax deduction) then you would be better off leveraging and using the available cash to buy that alternative investment rather than using it to buy the house outright. What am I missing here? Did I misunderstand you?

I was only addressing JCK's earlier statement, which I took to mean that buying a house during the time period in question (the mid 1960s - mid 1980s) would have provided benefits as a result of the accompanying inflation and the benefits would have been amplified by leverage. My point was that the leverage would not have amplified the benefits derived from inflation because the mortgage rates were higher than inflation. I did not mean to imply that the leverage could not have amplified other benefits.

Borrowing to invest elsewhere is a separate issue which is independent of the how much benefit is derived from inflation. Yes, if you can make a higher return elsewhere, then using leverage to get the money for that investment could make sense. I personally doubt that this could be safely done in practice since the alternative investment will probably have non-negligible risk, but I agree with you on the theory. Incidentally, for the time period we were talking about, stocks performed miserably, so that would have been an unlucky play for those buying in the mid 1960s or early 1970s.

- admin
GenXer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyablon: Just because stocks returned 10% in the past doesn't mean they will in the future. In fact, because there is no way to predict what that return will be, you can not assume that stocks or any other investment will beat inflation and will make you more money than the mortgage rate. This is why it is sometimes better to pay in cash, especially if you can afford it, again provided that you already have a decent size portfolio. This is not to say that you shouldn't invest in stocks and bonds to try to beat inflation. You may be able to beat the mortgage rates, but using it as a given while borrowing money and investnig the rest may lead to a financial disaster. This is what people used to do, but if the stocks and real estate crashes at the same time (which is what has happened), and people start losing jobs, you can see what that can lead to - somebody who seemed to have been prudent with their money can lose everything (leverage + not very intelligent stock investing + loss of job = total financial disaster).
balor123

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be confident about the behavior of some investments. You know that i-bonds will beat or match inflation for example, though it depends on your inflation definition.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
You can be confident about the behavior of some investments. You know that i-bonds will beat or match inflation for example, though it depends on your inflation definition.

That is before taxes, of course. The federal government can confiscate as much of the "gains" as they want via taxes, once the bonds mature.

I-Bonds also aren't of much use for interest rate arbitrage on your mortgage since you can only buy $10K per year and the mortgage will be at least an order of magnitude larger than that. That's better than nothing, and I would probably do it, but it's just a drop in the bucket. Cash equivalents also have known behavior, at least on the downside, meaning they won't earn less than 0% nominally. So if you thought that high inflation was imminent and that returns on CDs and the like will rise with inflation (probably staying below it), you can make that bet with a known maximum downside (your mortgage interest). I probably would have taken that bet already if it didn't also mean being tied to a depreciating asset.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I was just pointing out that it's return is known. Your suggestion of sticking to cash equivalents is a good one. The mortgage arbitrage is interesting because the time scale is so long. I wish I could at least lock in a rate now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.