bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Second Great Depression
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Second Great Depression Reply with quote

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2009/03/30/welcome-to-the-second-great-depression.aspx

Where I launch off, from the above, is that the reason why people don't have 6+ mos of expenses (the depression remedy) saved is the housing market.

Much of that money is used in the carry costs of owning a home. Having savings means being able to be a "migrant" worker. In a sense, imagine a type of white collar *dustbowl* where people need to be in numerous locations to maintain a semblance of white collar employment, since that's still the primary mode of employment in the post modern world.
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Harvard economist Robert Barro recently estimated that there is a 20% chance that the U.S. will fall into a depression.

Basing an article on some empty suit's random guess is entertaining, but not very informative. What is the error margin for this 'guesstimate'?
A 'credible' estimate is the one which is made by somebody with a slightly better chance of getting his predictions right compared with randomly guessing or flipping a coin. What is this guy's track record? Why should this 'prediction' be any better than any number of predictions out there?

His suggestions for 'anticipating' (as if we could ever do that) the imminent Depression should be implemented regardless of what economic conditions you are in. Pay down debt, have a cash reserve, etc, etc.

I love his assurance that
Quote:
Long-term Treasuries should perform well during a financial collapse
. Considering that our Depression may finally give China a reason to dump Treasuries, his assertion is disingenious. Nobody knows what investments will outperform during a Depression. Nobody has a clue. We can only guess and see what comes out on the other end when everything is said and done.

Then he goes out on a limb and says to buy stocks. Individual stocks are not for individuals, period. You need thousands of stocks to mitigate the risk of owning individual stocks, but even holding 10,000 stocks will not save you from a potential decline, which he claims will never go down to 90%. Well, there is always a first time for everything, and nobody knows how low stocks can go. Saying 'it didn't happen before, so it won't happen now' is again disingenious, and he should know better (or maybe not). Of all S&P500 companies VERY FEW survived to this day from the days of the Great Depression. Chances are, no company is immune, and fighting today's war using the strategy from the last one is a sure recipe for getting mauled.

1929 is a terrible analogy to today's possible Depression when there were no high tech jobs and many jobs required moving around. There are no original ideas in that article - on one hand he says that some things can't happen like in 1929, on the other hand he says some things can be like in 1929. Which one is it? I don't think anybody knows.

If Depression comes - paper money will most likely become worthless, and so will treasuries. You will need a lot more than stocks to last through one. We can speculate as to what an ideal preparation for a Depression will entail, but I'm sure there are plenty of survivalist websites we can tap for that task.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1929 is a terrible analogy to today's possible Depression when there were no high tech jobs and many jobs required moving around.

Well, the key is "move around" which implies buying a home very judiciously, if ever, esp in cities with the 2:1, mortgage:rent, index. And being deflationary, in nature, some combination of cash and PMs will be needed to get through the week. The PMs mainly when deflation inverses into a stagflation, as the Treasuries start to lose their international appeal to sovereign funds and central banks.

Realize, many academic speculators are that, talking out of both ends. I remember all those teachers spouting non-stop about the upcoming shortage of scientists and engineers ad nauseam. Today, they're mainly depressed, as they have no idea as to what happened to their notions. Realize, being an academic today, without having been originally born rich, is a lost career.
GenXer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was suggesting that you'd have a lot more worries than a job if we do get in a similar Depression. You'll have to worry about defending your life instead - as well as about food shortages. Who knows what may happen. We depend so much on products shipped across the country and the globe (and with local products being in a very short supply) that we may have bigger problems than work...
ConcernedCitizen2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:23 am GMT    Post subject: We are already at 16% unemployment rate Reply with quote

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/04/03/the-full-picture-broader-unemployment-hits-156/

"But the Labor Department’s most comprehensive gauge of unemployment surpassed even its early 1980s levels. The government’s broader measure, known as the “U-6″ for its data classification, hit 15.6% in March — a big leap from 14.8% in February."

I was having a discussion with a colleague on this point - that if you count unemployment the way we used to (ie including those who've stopped looking), you get up to nearly 16% already, when we are just mid way through this recession. Add in the population who are in prison (something like 5-8% of the work force) and you raise it even further, because some of those who are in prison would likely be unemployed if out on the street.

And I believe we're only part way through this recession, because we're only part way through working out the toxic assets on bank's balance sheets.

Damage from commercial real estate and credit cards is just starting to impact balance sheets. When the sub prime mess started blowing up, I kept asking myself, this garbage is on somebody's balance sheet somewhere. Who has it? It turned out ALOT of banks and insurance companies had it, globally.

Coming back to commercial real estate, I ask myself the same question, who's holding this hot potato. Looking at the John Hancock tower auction the other day, a building that sold for $1.3 bn in 2006 has now gone for $660million, meaning someone somewhere is holding that loss.

I read a brokerage piece saying it's more complex than that, you can't assume necessarily that that loss is exactly on a bank's balance sheet, but some damage must be hitting someone.

I don't know if commercial real estate was securitised the way residential was, but if it was, then larger losses will occur, because those securitisations had so much embedded leverage.

Yes, systemic risk is lower now than it was before Lehman Bros went down because governments will keep bailing banks etc out, but I don't think we're out of the woods by any means.

However, my colleague and I said, if we're at 16% unemployment already and with the prison figures, make it 20%, why doesn't it feel like a Great Depression? There are no apple carts on the street yet. That's what we couldn't figure out exactly. I guess the whole debt system is keeping people above water for now (ie they keep rolling over debt where possible).?
GenXer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markets are interconnected, so while it is easy to lose a lot, it is also easy to gain, as access to markets is...well, easy! Anybody from their home PC can get access to markets, whether to buy or to sell. I think global economy is a lot more resilient, and while it can bend and even break, in this case, its only the FINANCIAL industry which is broken, while there is still a huge demand for computers and other means of productivity. So don't try to apply last Depression's measure on a possible new one, it won't work! Even when unemployment is at (official) 15%, we will still be doing OK, at least most of us. What you don't see (but what we do know exists) is the decimation of the housing sector with jobs being slow. It is temporary, but will probably last many years. Same thing with financial industry. But other industries are going to do just fine, getting more done with less.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: We are already at 16% unemployment rate Reply with quote

ConcernedCitizen2 wrote:

However, my colleague and I said, if we're at 16% unemployment already and with the prison figures, make it 20%, why doesn't it feel like a Great Depression? There are no apple carts on the street yet. That's what we couldn't figure out exactly. I guess the whole debt system is keeping people above water for now (ie they keep rolling over debt where possible).?

I think it was last week's Economist which pointed out that this time there are many more government safety nets in place than during The Great Depression. This isn't to say that this is the only factor, it's just one difference that may be contributing to your observation.

- admin
CC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
Markets are interconnected, so while it is easy to lose a lot, it is also easy to gain, as access to markets is...well, easy! Anybody from their home PC can get access to markets, whether to buy or to sell. I think global economy is a lot more resilient, and while it can bend and even break, in this case, its only the FINANCIAL industry which is broken, while there is still a huge demand for computers and other means of productivity. So don't try to apply last Depression's measure on a possible new one, it won't work! Even when unemployment is at (official) 15%, we will still be doing OK, at least most of us. What you don't see (but what we do know exists) is the decimation of the housing sector with jobs being slow. It is temporary, but will probably last many years. Same thing with financial industry. But other industries are going to do just fine, getting more done with less.

Not sure it is correct. Like you said, markets are interconnected industries are also interconnected. Because financial industry is not doing well and the unemployment is getting higher, other industries are effected deeply. If you check auto industry, computer industry....etc., they are all effected by the tighten credits and higher unemployment rate. (You could be partly right. I found the local restaurants seem doing fine. And strangely the stock market recently went up like crazy...... )

I also think global economy is a lot larger than 30s'. It is more resilient and flexible. However, it's still too earlier to tell how bad the situation is. I guess if it ends quickly, said the end of this year, it may cause another bubble in just a few years. Or it may become a real depression and stays for much longer than we think.
GenXer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, everything may end up unlike anything we can think of. One thing is almost certain - there will not be a quick end to this because there is no mechanism for a quick end. We are overwhelmed with debt, and somebody someday will have to pay it back.
nickbp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:30 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct comparisons to the great depression are just a grab for attention. There have been so many social and financial changes since then that trying to compare the modern economy to the 1930's is just about useless. There's no need to rush out and put all your FDIC/DIF-insured deposits into a mattress.

You're much better off comparing our situation to the similar bubbles which have occurred recently in other countries. Conveniently, we've got the Japanese Lost Decade from only 20 years ago.

Here's a quick summary which was conveniently posted in May 2005: "When Japanese real estate (and stocks) started to sink, it infected the country's financial system. Bad loans throughout the financial system, together with the collapse in real-estate values, fed on themselves."
nickbp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:45 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey admin: Enable the edit button

Clarification for my last post:

The Japanese slump ("Lost Decade") was the result of poor policy decisions which were crafted in response to the collapse of their bubble ("Asset Price Bubble"). I should have used the latter text when referring to their crash, rather than the former.

I don't want you to think I'm saying that our crash will necessarily lead to an "American Lost Decade", because I think that depends a lot on our response to the crash. Given that we have this conveniently similar crash from only 20 years ago, I'm optimistic that we will have learned some lessons from that.
ConcernedCitizen1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again
I agree that the Japanese lost decade case is probably a closer comparator than the Great Depression, but on the other hand there are significant differences:

Japan was in its lost decade in the 1990s, a time of fairly robust growth in other places particularly the US (I won't get into the debate of whether that growth was real or fake and the whole IT bubble question. For now we can just look at the GDP growth numbers that were strong in the 1990s particularly in the mid to late part of the decade
Now we have a global recession, there is no place that's particularly immune. Even the BRIC countries who were going to pull everyone out of this are slowing down sharply.

Japan entered its lost decade with high levels of household savings, so while corporations (the main culprits in their bubble) spent 10+ years restructuring and repairing balance sheets, Japanese households drew on their vast pool of savings to get them through. As the below article in the Economist points out, restructuring overextended household balance sheets is more difficult than corporate balance sheets.

http://www.economist.com/finance/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13110352

On the positive side it seems that Americans are much more able to react quickly to new paradigms and maybe this adaptiveness will help.
Rental Lease

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:49 am GMT    Post subject: Real Estate, Economic Stagnation, and Structural Problems Reply with quote

There is no question that much of the world is suffering economically right now; he11 I'm one of them, after watching my real estate investments deteriorate and cost me all my savings in losses and carrying costs.
However, I think that we'll see some stabilization this summer, as real estate markets get their seasonal bump, agriculture and tourism start contributing more (again seasonally), and the effects of low oil prices continue to lubricate shipping and supply chains. Granted, we'll lose some more ground come winter, but I think we'll see increasingly stronger (and longer) summer boom seasons, until the global economy isn't quite so dismal.
That said, I would contend that we have some structural issues in America that aren't going anywhere quickly. First of all, we suffer from an ever-expanding juggernaut in the form of the US Government, which pays its workers somewhere around $7.50 more/hour (adjusted for benefits) than the private sector does. This creates an environment that encourages lethargy, lower productivity, and higher taxes.
Second, we have an aging population, and no way to pay for their increasing health care expenses. This is compounded by the fact that a lower percentage of our population will be working (and therefore contributing to the system) over the next 5-10 years, while more will be relying on public money.
There are plenty of other examples to illustrate this phenomenon of increasing expenses and stagnating income to our system, but these are two VERY troubling examples, that will not be fixed just because Wall St. has a good month.
Rental Lease

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:52 am GMT    Post subject: Final Note Reply with quote

I'd like to add that one way people can contribute to helping the real estate market recover is to buy rental properties. This helps keep rents reasonable, and helps combat the withdrawal of homeowners and real estate investors from real estate ownership and investment in America.
If you want more information, here's a great resource for real estate investing information and free real estate forms... best of luck!
Brian
GenXer

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:09 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rental Lease: I fully sympathize with your plight. Many of us here do not want to see the housing market 'recover', at least not until it plunges another 50%, or maybe even more. This is because the rent we pay is actually much lower than the cost of buying the same property. My landlord bought his condo for around $200k in 1999, and he is barely breaking even right now. How's that for math? I think many owners of rental property got suckered into it by snake oil salesmen. Real estate is not safer or better investment than stocks, treasuries or municipal bonds. They are different, yet for all the complexities of the stock market, (a good portion of it, at least) it is much easier to understand and to price than real estate. Buying real estate and renting it out is just as prone to blow ups as buying stocks like GE, IBM and American Express to get dividend income. Once of these days, individual stocks blow up, and you get half of your portfolio left with no dividends because these are cut or canceled. This is how investment world works - wealth cycles around, and if you can not hold on to it, you lose it all. Until those who think they can become rich in real estate stop relying on blind luck and actually read something about how investments and risk works, you will continue to lose everything, if not during this cycle, then during the next one, because most real estate investors are not diversified enough (even if you had 100 houses for rent, you'd still be hurting).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.