bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Affordability of younger workers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Affordability of younger workers Reply with quote

The corporate system in this country seems to be broken and I think this will affect housing, especially in places like Boston where homes are held by a large number of older workers.

In the corporate world, when times are good everyone gets raises but not to the same degree. Those who are younger or in their peak years tend to get the greater share of raises because they are earning less than their older peers and are often times producing more. Compensation thus looks like a bell rather than a pear. Add in the cost of benefits like health insurance for works and the bell becomes even more pronounced. In bad times, wages are frozen for everyone equally to avoid layoffs. This doesn't hurt everyone equally but rather those who would have gotten larger raises, which tends to be younger workers who still have a lot of potential.

The impact of this system can be seen on CNBC at night. There are constant calls from people who've recently lost their jobs asking how they can find new ones. Lots of discussion about avoiding layoffs like they're the end of the world. This article even proposes that everyone get paid less, equally of course, so that more people can work, presumably at their former salaries.

For younger workers to get market pay in this environment, they have to switch jobs or threaten to. Given the amount of competition for jobs, this option is becoming difficult. The result is a system where older workers who are still employed get to keep their higher salaries and younger workers stay at lower salaries. You are seeing a lot of older workers unable to get jobs because of cheaper younger workers but those younger workers are only getting the jobs because they remain cheap. The salary growth of a person is heavily impacted not just by the profitability of the companies that they work for but also the timing of when those companies are profitable. I read one study from Columbia around 2000 which found that students who graduated in recessions took 10 years to catch up in compensation with those who graduate in better times.

Anyway, the point is that Boston is a heavily pipelined housing market and I think that this recession is going to produce a generation of lower than typical income earners, which will put further pressure on prices to come down.
john p

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:35 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point. What is kind of crazy is when the older generation tries to use kangaroo logic to blatantly ignore the scoreboard. It is amazing to see people get away with doing absolutley nothing and spending all their time politicking.

My hope is that the quality people reform in their own groups and compete and take down those that are keeping them down.
balor123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every year everyone should get 10% chopped off their salaries and then managers could redistribute income based on performance so that your pay can actually go down! Inflation sort of accomplishes this goal but we don't have any right now and more importantly this approach allows for rapid adjustments in pay, making the market more efficient. This approach allows managers to reward good performance even when pay is being cut for the department, granted it is at the expense of a lesser performing employee.
WestCoastXPlant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the 10% cut (or a bit less) has always happened, as you say, via inflation.
This year, it's happening in a more traditional way -- you bet the folks slacking off will be the first out the door, followed by otherwise expensive employees(i.e. older/sick/using other "perks"). A lot of people are getting a straight cut too. Not getting axed in a deflationary environment implicitly equals a raise Smile

So I think corporate america is on to your scheme -- they just like to do it in a more PC way when inflation is positive Smile
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not exactly. The ratio of pay between workers isn't changing. The salaries of younger workers remains pigeon-holed, granted the ratio of those stuck is better now that older people are being laid off. Inflation has been low for a long time so the cut wasn't very big. But a more significant problem is lack of opportunities to develop useful skills when the recession is over that can be resold and to get your pay up to market, even if market isn't very good.
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's also not forget that many of these younger workers will be falling for government support of housing right now so even if things improve they'll be stuck. Sure you get $8k and a very low interest rate but to keep the subsidy you have to stay there for several years. You can't take the mortgage with you so you'll have to afford a new house in wherever the new opportunity is.
WestCoastXPlant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But a more significant problem is lack of opportunities to develop useful skills when the recession is over that can be resold and to get your pay up to market, even if market isn't very good

How so? I'd argue that there's ample opportunity to pick up skills -- someone has to do at least part of the tasks the older gen was doing. At least at the companies I've worked at, a lot of the older folk had immense experience and filling their shoes is a daunting and very challenging task...even if you assume that 1/2 of their tasks are truly eliminated. I've seen some colleagues, once or twice, doing tasks noone would have let them touch with a 6ft pole before Laughing

But yes, I imagine the phenomenon of wage compression will be on the back burner for a while...

P.S. The 8K rule is beyond bizarre to me -- I'm really not sure who it benefits -- I suppose govt employees and some public sector folks. I suppose you have to be in an industry that's not yet hurting, you have to make under the income limit and you have to believe that your current region is a hub for your job skills (but I don't know if tech or biotech in MA qualify, I imagine pay is mostly above the qualifying income)...
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:11 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestCoastXPlant wrote:

How so? I'd argue that there's ample opportunity to pick up skills -- someone has to do at least part of the tasks the older gen was doing. At least at the companies I've worked at, a lot of the older folk had immense experience and filling their shoes is a daunting and very challenging task...even if you assume that 1/2 of their tasks are truly eliminated. I've seen some colleagues, once or twice, doing tasks noone would have let them touch with a 6ft pole before Laughing

You can certainly spin this either way. Maybe skills isn't the right word to use because in a sense you are right. What I really meant was resume. Young people can't gain management experience because companies aren't growing personnel. They can't become product architects because fewer new products are being developed. They can't gain management experience in startups because end games have disappeared and funding is constricted, as well as market opportunities. Most opportunities that appear in companies are given to those who are better qualified (those with more experience) or better positioned (have more contacts, better relationships with people that matter, etc). We like to think that we make our careers but it can't be done without the right opportunities and part of building your career is navigating those opportunities, whether with the same company or others. Careers grow and stall with companies and right now companies aren't extending opportunities.

WestCoastXPlant wrote:
But yes, I imagine the phenomenon of wage compression will be on the back burner for a while...

SimplyHired and Indeed show some interesting pictures when it comes to unemployment and wages (check the trends page).

WestCoastXPlant wrote:
P.S. The 8K rule is beyond bizarre to me -- I'm really not sure who it benefits -- I suppose govt employees and some public sector folks. I suppose you have to be in an industry that's not yet hurting, you have to make under the income limit and you have to believe that your current region is a hub for your job skills (but I don't know if tech or biotech in MA qualify, I imagine pay is mostly above the qualifying income)...

I tend to agree. I think suckers and lucky people will benefit. Looking at SimplyHired, the highest average pay for engineering positions is $93k so most techies fall under the limit unless they are two income households. Same goes for biotech.

For those of you who are trying to decide if your income is stable by the way, you can use SimplyHired to get an idea of what income to expect if you lose your job and are lucky enough to find another one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.