bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

House to rent ratio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:49 pm GMT    Post subject: House to rent ratio Reply with quote

Apartments were raising rents aggressively last summer, which backfired in the winter as they had to drop rents. It is looking like rents are staying low. My complex tried increasing them a little bit in Jan but I think it didn't work because now they are even lower than before. Check this out - a 2br + den (ie 3br) in a new luxury complex for $1825/mo (including heat/AC)! Rents actually rose a little bit for 2008 as a whole but I think 2009 will be different. This will put extra pressure on housing.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another scenario for 09:

Say the person bought a new place without selling their old place and it didn't sell so they rented. They're not going to have to try to sell their place while they have a tenant. I wonder how that works...
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does it say that it includes heat and AC? I'm almost certain that heat and AC is not included. Thats typical for this price. It would cost probably $100-$150 a month to heat a 1400 sq ft. apartment, and about the same to cool it down in the summer. I know this area. It is pretty crappy, and all the wrong kinds of people live there. There is a commuter rail, and trains sometimes pass through the area (quite loudly). I wouldn't want to be out walking at night in that area, so thats a big minus. It is right on the river, and it may be possible to get a nice view, though looking at what is available, that is not assured. I'd expect rents to fall and people to move out as jobs are lost. Maybe in a year and a half when my lease expires I'd check again.
StallionMang

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a house for rent in North Cambridge... 3 floors, 2000 SF, for $1800 (no utils). The rental guy said there were other properties available... when I asked whether they were for sale or rent, his answer was "whatever, they'll take what they can get."
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:18 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are nowhere near where we could be in a year or two. These are individual owners, however - luxury rental apartments are not there yet. You are right, there are good deals to be found, but I do not believe anybody who's sane is going to include heat and electricity into the rental price (especially NOT those old houses which leak heat through uninsulated walls and old windows). You may get lucky though.

Would you want to buy one of those? The answer is unequivocally not. People haven't realized that the price in their head does not exist anymore, so it is still much cheaper to rent than to buy.
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenXer wrote:
Where does it say that it includes heat and AC? I'm almost certain that heat and AC is not included. Thats typical for this price. It would cost probably $100-$150 a month to heat a 1400 sq ft. apartment, and about the same to cool it down in the summer. I know this area. It is pretty crappy, and all the wrong kinds of people live there. There is a commuter rail, and trains sometimes pass through the area (quite loudly). I wouldn't want to be out walking at night in that area, so thats a big minus. It is right on the river, and it may be possible to get a nice view, though looking at what is available, that is not assured. I'd expect rents to fall and people to move out as jobs are lost. Maybe in a year and a half when my lease expires I'd check again.

They don't do a good job advertising it but heat and AC are central so you don't have to pay for it. I know that we don't pay because I live there. Our only bill is electricity, which ranges from $90 - $150/mo.

You may be familiar with this area but it has changed a lot over the last decade (for the better). This part of Waltham has always been nice, though the lesser nice parts aren't far away. Brandeis is just down the street and there are many new construction townhouses. The complex parking garage (1 spot is included) has some very nice cars in it and I've met some very nice people in the complex (doctors, venture capitalists, engineers, etc.) Waltham has very low crime rates. Even lower than Newton! Waltham just looks worse than it really is cause they haven't put the money into making the downtown look pretty, though they're talking about it. Schools aren't up to par with surrounding neighborhoods but they've all been rebuilt recently at least.
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a train which runs by but it is a commuter rail so not that frequently and not in the middle of the night. Only a very small percentage of the units can hear it loudly and a only small percentage can even hear it at all. There are 3 buildings and only one of them is adjacent to the tracks. Fortunately, there aren't any ambulances from the hospital either. Complex has door man / security along with a good security system. No one's going to steal your car without a camera catching it. Gym is also far above anything that Avalon offers. For these prices (now its down to ~$1600 for ~1200 sq ft!) this apartment is a steal!
GenXer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, yes, it seems that this may be a good deal. I'm looking for other complexes in Waltham which are less urbanized, closer to Lexington, but you are right - it could be worth a look.
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a more urban area. For what you're looking for you'd be better with Windsor Village or one of those in that area. My original point, though, remains true even if you look at Windsor Village. You can get a 3br place there for as little as $1700 - $1800/mo and those places are a lot nicer on the inside than most of the housing stock in Waltham. I think many people will choose to just stay put there rather than buy since the rents are so low. The rents have been falling for a few reasons I think. First, there aren't a lot of new people moving into town thanks to dropping job postings. Second, people are probably downsizing their apartments to save money. Eventually this will put pressure on the low end places which will have to raise their rents but I suspect we have enough houses going up for rent to make up for the demand for the moment. Eventually the market will solve the problem with the rents increasing and housing prices decreasing but in the short term it looks like low rents are just putting further pressure on housing prices.
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you are interested in moving in here let me know and I'll split the referral fee ($1k right now). I'd have to give them your name before you come to the office though. I would have PMed you but this board doesn't support it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.