bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Boston Bubble Brief: The Real Story for MA - Sep 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john_ops

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:09 pm GMT    Post subject: case-schiller for towns / zips? Reply with quote

Hi-

Of course, I gotta start with the observation that your work is fantastic.

I have a methodology question - or really a data availability question. Is it possible to do the same for individual towns or zips? eg, for Newton or Waltham or Brookline? I know that Case-Schiller only releases for major MSAs, but could they do more micro analysis? Could one of us do the same thing or do they already have massive infrastructure / IP in place to do the analysis, and it'd be ridiculous to rebuild to do for one region?

Thanks,
J
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: case-schiller for towns / zips? Reply with quote

john_ops wrote:
Of course, I gotta start with the observation that your work is fantastic.

Thanks.

john_ops wrote:

I have a methodology question - or really a data availability question. Is it possible to do the same for individual towns or zips? eg, for Newton or Waltham or Brookline? I know that Case-Schiller only releases for major MSAs, but could they do more micro analysis? Could one of us do the same thing or do they already have massive infrastructure / IP in place to do the analysis, and it'd be ridiculous to rebuild to do for one region?

This report actually uses data from The MAR rather than the S&P/Case-Shiller Index. However, I'll try to answer your question with regard to the S&P/Case-Shiller Index, since it is better.

It is indeed feasible to make your own homebrew Case-Shiller equivalent. Here is somebody who has done just that for San Diego and who has posted details on how to do it:

http://sdhpi.blogspot.com/2008/02/constructing-hpi.html

When I went to hear Professor Case talk a few weeks ago, he said that they buy their data for the Boston MSA from The Warren Group. I assume you could do the same. However, if you want to focus on a single town, using the registry of deeds might be almost as convenient and also much cheaper (as in free).

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.