bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Fannie and Freddie Act as Shadow US Treasury?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:29 am GMT    Post subject: Fannie and Freddie Act as Shadow US Treasury? Reply with quote

This is a question I have been pondering for the last couple days and I'm hoping some smart people here will tell me whether I'm on to something or off base...

While the most important question seems to be "where will things go," the more important question may be "how did things get here."

My theory:

The scale of the housing bubble and the credit bubbles built thereupon was aided and abetted chiefing through the operation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as a shadow US treasury pumping trillions of dollars into the housing market.

The basic story:

Fannie and Freddie borrowed capital near the treasury rate with the implicit understanding that they were backed by the Treasury, which they were.

They have very low capital requirements (3.5%) such that they could borrow enormous sums at very low rates from very little investment.

They used this power to flood the market with capital for mortgage financing.

Commercial banks and investments banks further the availability of Fannine and Freddie as a ready purchaser for all the mortgages they can pump out.

The profits deriving from Fannie and Freddies ability to borrow at the treasury rate filtered through the banking sector supporting furthering leveraging, eventually backed by the taxpayer.

The Treasury essentially assumes the obligations of Fannie and Freddie, doubling the national debt.

How were Fannie and Freddie not acting like our treasury pumping taxpayer money into a housing bubble?

Granted, the secondary effects of Wall Street were immense but for a period of years the presence of the US Treasury printing money to fund MBS issuance removed all market discipline making this problem much worse.

But, tell me how Fannie and Freddie did not function essentially as described?
samz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The consensus seems to be that Fannie and Freddie were part of the problem, but only one part.

They were private companies, though, and had no access to the treasury or to taxpayer money before the bailout. (Which was significantly smaller than the subsequent bailout of Wall St.)

I've read some articles saying that Fannie and Freddie had actually started to be marginalized in the last few years of the bubble. The big investment banks realized they could securitize mortgages themselves and bypass the middleman. This became a lot easier when the SEC waived their leverage rules in 2004, allowing them to go to as much at 30 or 40 to 1.

I posted this link before:

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB122246742997580395.html

-Sam
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

samz wrote:

I've read some articles saying that Fannie and Freddie had actually started to be marginalized in the last few years of the bubble. The big investment banks realized they could securitize mortgages themselves and bypass the middleman.

Wasn't most of the marginalization due to the requirements that loans had to conform to in order to be backed by the GSEs? Loans were capped at $417K, debt to income was capped, and documentation was required. Fannie and Freddie were marginalized because they were legally prevented from competing with lenders offering enormous loans to borrowers who were not qualified and were eager to lie about their income, either knowingly or not. I got a sense that it was those loans which fueled the last few years of the bubble.

Naturally, congress saw the situation and said: Fannie and Freddie can't compete any more - we need to rewrite their requirements so that they can compete with the reckless lenders. This was part of the stimulus package passed earlier this year, shortly before Fannie and Freddie went bust. I'm not saying it was the cause of their failure, just that congress was busy piling on gasoline where smoke was clearly visible. Their incompetence or complicity is disconcerting. The author of the Paper Economy blog wrote to Barney Frank about his concerns over Fannie and Freddie earlier this year and was in turn mocked by Frank for suggesting that they would soon be involved in a bailout. To make matters worse, these are the people we are relying on to fix the alleged crisis now.

- admin
samz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
samz wrote:

I've read some articles saying that Fannie and Freddie had actually started to be marginalized in the last few years of the bubble. The big investment banks realized they could securitize mortgages themselves and bypass the middleman.

Wasn't most of the marginalization due to the requirements that loans had to conform to in order to be backed by the GSEs? Loans were capped at $417K, debt to income was capped, and documentation was required. Fannie and Freddie were marginalized because they were legally prevented from competing with lenders offering enormous loans to borrowers who were not qualified and were eager to lie about their income, either knowingly or not. I got a sense that it was those loans which fueled the last few years of the bubble.

Naturally, congress saw the situation and said: Fannie and Freddie can't compete any more - we need to rewrite their requirements so that they can compete with the reckless lenders. This was part of the stimulus package passed earlier this year, shortly before Fannie and Freddie went bust. I'm not saying it was the cause of their failure, just that congress was busy piling on gasoline where smoke was clearly visible. Their incompetence or complicity is disconcerting. The author of the Paper Economy blog wrote to Barney Frank about his concerns over Fannie and Freddie earlier this year and was in turn mocked by Frank for suggesting that they would soon be involved in a bailout. To make matters worse, these are the people we are relying on to fix the alleged crisis now.

- admin

You're totally right. In fact, I think Fannie and Freddie themselves lobbied hard to get those restrictions loosened.

That's really at the heart of the problem: it seemed to be in everyone's interest to let the bubble happen -- Congress could say they made it easier for people to buy homes; investment banks made mega-fortunes selling the mortgages; Fannie and Freddie got to play in the game; people were allowed to buy bigger, nicer homes than they could really afford; developers, speculators, and flippers all profited hugely. But these are all *short-term* interests -- there seemed to be no incentive or benefit to watching out for long-term effects.

This seems like one of the puzzles of this crisis: when everyone's short-term interests are aligned like this, what is the balancing force? How are long-term dangers represented (and hopefully, avoided)?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

samz wrote:

This seems like one of the puzzles of this crisis: when everyone's short-term interests are aligned like this, what is the balancing force? How are long-term dangers represented (and hopefully, avoided)?

To some extent, the long term threat of failure is supposed to be a deterrent, albeit an apparently mild one. Even that has been taken away with the government bailing out those involved. Yet again, their actions are focused on the short term (reducing the acceleration into recession) at the expense of the long term (creating moral hazard, preventing the market from correcting itself, degrading the country's financial strength, etc.).

There is a potential counterbalancing force which they are in danger of triggering and which would be too big to stick short term band-aids on if and when it happens. Other countries could stop buying US debt. These bailouts don't make the failures disappear - they transfer the failures onto the government's books. As the books deteriorate, there may come a point where those buying our debt think that their options are better elsewhere, stop buying, and even start selling. If the credit crisis is bad now, just think what would happen if our lender of last resort (the US government) is having its own funding contract and everybody is suddenly forced to borrow at true market rates. A downward spiral of credit contraction could very well ensue.

- admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:57 pm GMT    Post subject: Maybe I need to rephrase... Reply with quote

I think the argument I'm trying to make is as follows:

There was an enormous flow of investment into the housing sector in the US over the past 10 years.

Most of this money came through Fannie and Freddie.

I've seen some analysis suggesting that Fannie and Freddie were actually much more invested in the subprime market than is commonly assumed through purchases for their own portfolio and also through securitization of mortgages. The companies had some quite opaque practices that hide their exposure and the generally only bought the AAA subprime securities.

Regardless, however, of how involved Fannie and Freddie were in the subprime sector and the fact that they weren't directly underwritting the most risky loans or more risky tranches of loans, they were the source of trillions of dollars of capital that flowed into the markets.

Why this matters is because Fannie and Freddie were able to raise money at very low rates. People buying their debt considered it to be just a hair riskier than treasury debt. In the end, our government has assumed all of these liabilities. Thus, from the perspective of hindsight, it looks like Fannie and Freddie were basically borrowing trillions of dollars, basically backed by the full faith and credit of the US taxpayer, and pumping that money into the mortgage industry.

I would guess that this infusion of taxpayer money into the markets had a huge impact on other market participants, like Countrywide, who took huge risks and relied heavily upon the stability of their business with Fannie and Freddie to underwrite those risks. I think if you imagine any market where the government suddenly starts pumping trillions of dollars into that particular sector, you would expect the same thing to happen. Alone these actions caused an inflation of price, but it also had the effect of drawing even more private capital into a market that was perceived to be safe because of the government involvement.

I guess my feeling is that if you took away the GSEs, it is very hard to imagine the scale of the housing bubble and collapse. Private market discipline would have intervened much earlier and there would have been no incentive or driving force for overinvestment in housing....

Anyways, I'm hoping someone will directly address the merits of this argument and let me know if I'm missing some crucial fact.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Maybe I need to rephrase... Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Anyways, I'm hoping someone will directly address the merits of this argument and let me know if I'm missing some crucial fact.

Your argument sounds very plausible to me, unfortunately.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has already been demonstrated that housing prices rose very quickly with easy credit in Boston. Can someone explain why they aren't falling, ignoring inflation, with the lack of credit (at least in and around the 128 belt)?
balor123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:54 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say to ignore inflation because income isn't keeping up with it either.
john p

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:07 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there to hear it; does it make a sound?

My mother says the difference between a recession and a depression is a recession happens to your neighbor and a depression happens to you.

People are living their lives as normal; maybe not spending as much, but for those that bought more than 4 or 5 years ago, they most likely bought before the bubble and have refinanced to a low rate and most likely have had 5 years of salary adjustments so that they are clearing their hurdles.

The question is, how many people have used their homes as ATM's and got HELOC's or ARMS? Those people will be a big portion of the first shoes to fall. Even though the math makes this correction have the potential to be much worse than the 90's, we haven't had the recession and job losses that caused the price drops.
samz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:03 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:

There is a potential counterbalancing force which they are in danger of triggering and which would be too big to stick short term band-aids on if and when it happens. Other countries could stop buying US debt. These bailouts don't make the failures disappear - they transfer the failures onto the government's books. As the books deteriorate, there may come a point where those buying our debt think that their options are better elsewhere, stop buying, and even start selling. If the credit crisis is bad now, just think what would happen if our lender of last resort (the US government) is having its own funding contract and everybody is suddenly forced to borrow at true market rates. A downward spiral of credit contraction could very well ensue.

- admin

Welcome to Iceland!
samz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:20 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Maybe I need to rephrase... Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

I guess my feeling is that if you took away the GSEs, it is very hard to imagine the scale of the housing bubble and collapse. Private market discipline would have intervened much earlier and there would have been no incentive or driving force for overinvestment in housing....

I agree that the GSEs played an important role, but I don't buy the "market discipline" argument at all. It was the private markets that created the crazy mortgage products, the private markets that generated demand for the securities private markets that rated the securities, and private markets that invented credit default swaps.

Initially, Fannie and Freddie weren't allowed to buy those mortgages. I believe that it was only after it became clear that these financial instruments were insanely profitable that everyone (including the GSEs themselves) agreed that they should start buying them.

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that the crisis required a combination of poor decisions, both in the public and private sectors.

The lesson I'm taking away is that no one should be 30:1 leveraged -- not governments, not companies, not homeowners. It's bad, bad, bad.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
It has already been demonstrated that housing prices rose very quickly with easy credit in Boston. Can someone explain why they aren't falling, ignoring inflation, with the lack of credit (at least in and around the 128 belt)?

I say to ignore inflation because income isn't keeping up with it either.

Massachusetts median household income actually went up 5.66% in nominal terms last year, which was a good bit higher than official inflation:

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/histinc/h08.html

So far I would say that the decline does actually look pretty close to a mirror image of the boom, when adjusted for inflation:

I think John P. hit on something when he pointed out that we haven't had the recession or same level of job losses as the last correction yet, so we haven't seen the forced sales and buyer reluctance that would get the correction over with much faster.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that's what the index says but I just don't see it in the areas that I follow: Waltham, Watertown, Wellesley, Weston, Needham, Lincoln, Needham, Lexington, Arlington, and Belmont.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
I know that's what the index says but I just don't see it in the areas that I follow: Waltham, Watertown, Wellesley, Weston, Needham, Lincoln, Needham, Lexington, Arlington, and Belmont.

Keep in mind that the S&P/Case-Shiller Index tracks same-home sales. Using the median sale price for those towns, which is what I assume you are doing given that it is what is available at that granularity, will mask price declines in numerous ways. I also know that for at least Arlington (and possibly the others as well), sales have been absolutely anemic, which makes the median even more unreliable when extrapolated to represent the general value of property in the town.

This isn't to say that some towns haven't been experiencing less of a correction so far. My point is that the information from The Warren Group's Town Stats is insufficient to come to that conclusion for individual towns. I'd buy the conclusion if you chained together same-home sales from the towns using public records.

- admin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.