bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Oil Heating and renting...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guest with a question

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Oil Heating and renting... Reply with quote

Okay, here's my problem.

I'm moving out at the end of August, and I have a full oil tank (275gal), which I bought from my landlord's perfered supplier (@ $2.799 per gal).

Now, when I moved in, I paid the woman who was moving out for her oil, and I still have the check on file. And since then, everyone who has moved in has done the same- paid the moving out party for their share of the oil.

I'm really not in the mood to make a gift of the oil to the new tennats here (who ever they are), nor am really wanting to screw my landlord over (they're great people, although their reaction to this has been dishearting).

Thoughts?
Guest with a question

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:32 pm GMT    Post subject: Well, it's over... Reply with quote

Just to follow up on my problem- hopefully someone else can learn here from my experiences.

To deal with the oil I had the tank measured- this ran me $80 and produced a letter stating the depth in inches of oil in the tank, and the number of gallons. In my case it was 40 3/4" which was 249 gallons. @ $2.489 (price lock), that equals $619.76 in value.

Since the landlord was not willing to work out a deal on buying the oil from me (nor was he going to allow me to work out a deal with the incoming tennats), I had contacted Citizens Energy about donating the oil, and I did at a cost of $220.

Total spent so far, $917.76.

Now the landlord wants me to pay him $50 so he can have the burners cleaned- I said no, he said that it would come out of the security deposit.
I told him that would be illegal and if he did that, we'd end up in court.

The funny thing is that he told me last night that he was going to offered me $175 for the oil ($0.28 on the dollar for the oil, or $1.42 per gallon).
So, why didn't he just spend the $50 on the burners then?

The take away from this is:
If the house has oil, put it in writing how much is in there when you moved in, and how much you are going to leave. Much like a car rental- and this will save everyone a huge headache in the end.
Guest with an Answer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:30 pm GMT    Post subject: Closure Reply with quote

Well I got my security deposit back in full.
The only thing that I can say here, is as a renter, to know your rights, and stand up for them, and if a place has oil, have that written into the lease how it will be dealt with when you leave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.