bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

reference material needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:48 am GMT    Post subject: reference material needed Reply with quote

Hey all,
I've been lurking on the board for a while and I posted a couple of times a little over a year ago. I am writing a grad paper on the foreclosure "crisis," and I'm trying to at least mention all of the different agencies/government bodies/etc. that could be or are involved in trying to deal with the situation. I'm looking for suggestions as I am a bit fried from too much caffeine. Off the top of my head I can think of (outside of the legislature and courts): FDIC, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the Federal Reserve, and the SEC. Any others come to mind? Any suggestions would be useful. Thanks a bunch.
john p

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd base the research on a value structure. In the early Bush term, they pushed an "ownership society". They pushed people to buy and actually gave pressure to lenders that didn't approve certain people.

I'd look into Deval Patrick and Ameriquest. On his "Wilkepedia" page it implies that he was responsible for a large settlement for the poor people. The trouble is that he was being paid by Ameriquest and was on their Board. He was wearing the Ameriquest uniform. He was being paid by Ameriquest to represent the position of Ameriquest not the poor people. He was on the side of the predators. Think about it, a group like Ameriquest most likely knew they were ripping off minorities so they say, let's get a greedy minority politician who isn't loyal to his race that will be our public facing front man. He was most likely the token minority that was bought off by rich predators. He signed right up for that role and took the money. His lame argument was something like, it was better to fight the predatory lending from the inside. This argument is bogus; he was paid well, he was Judas to his people and he should have known that rich predators were getting rich off of his people. Now his good buddy Obama claims that he thinks we ought to go after predatory lenders; why doesn't he go after Deval Patrick? If predators can tap dance away like Deval did, how would we prosecute anyone?

In addition, I'd collect quotes from politicians (lawmakers that make policy) during the times when leadership was needed. I was out there looking to buy from late 2003 to mid 2006, and very, very few people said anything. Think about the value structure we need to be able to detect problems like this. Find out if this elite Barack Obama every once mentioned to his church or his people, or anyone any skill or value that would have protected them during the predatory era. He had the Harvard Law degree and the big network, why and how did he not know that predatory lending wasn't going on and why didn't he say or do anything about it either. He's now a Johnny-come-lately, but where was he when the fight was going on? Obama and Deval were given the golden tickets, they were taught by the best of the best, and when it was time to stick em up for their people, they were on the wrong side. I wish the poor people understood. If Obama or Patrick cared in the least about poor people they would have been out of breath from yelling about the predatory practice against the poor. Not only were they silent, but Patrick was one of the predators.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:45 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: reference material needed Reply with quote

comma wrote:
Hey all,
I've been lurking on the board for a while and I posted a couple of times a little over a year ago. I am writing a grad paper on the foreclosure "crisis," and I'm trying to at least mention all of the different agencies/government bodies/etc. that could be or are involved in trying to deal with the situation. I'm looking for suggestions as I am a bit fried from too much caffeine. Off the top of my head I can think of (outside of the legislature and courts): FDIC, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the Federal Reserve, and the SEC. Any others come to mind? Any suggestions would be useful. Thanks a bunch.

Don't forget the states (unless you're only looking at the federal level). Massachusetts has its own bailout programs and own mortgage regulations made in reaction to the problem.

Cities and towns also have to deal with fallout. On the most apparent level, it is cutting into property tax revenues which is pinching local budgets and constraining local services. It goes further in some cases. Some cities, like Springfield, invested in mortgage backed securities and are losing money on what was billed as a safe investment as a result. I'm not sure if that's within the scope of what you're looking for.

- admin
comma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. After I turn it in, I may post the paper for those who are interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.