bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Quincy Colonial Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Brian C's house renos Reply with quote

The new photos you posted look amazing! Good work! Are you living there now, or planning on moving in soon? And I second john p's post about what people have done to these beautiful old houses... paneling, w-w carpet over hardwood, lino over hardwood .... did you ever figure out how to get the glue off the hardwood?

Keep posting when you get a chance!
Brian C

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Brian C's house renos Reply with quote

melonrightcoast wrote:
The new photos you posted look amazing! Good work! Are you living there now, or planning on moving in soon? And I second john p's post about what people have done to these beautiful old houses... paneling, w-w carpet over hardwood, lino over hardwood .... did you ever figure out how to get the glue off the hardwood?

Keep posting when you get a chance!

Thanks!
We are not living there right now. Planning on moving in within 2 weeks. Have alot of work to do but we will make it.

As for the hardwood, I was able to remove the glue by using a hot damp cloth then scrape it off with a heavy duty title scraper. The floor sander will handle the rest.
Brian C

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the rugs in the den and living room. Wired up the power and HDMI ports for the LCD above the fireplace.

Finished the foyer walls

The big week starts tomorrow. Kitchen and bathroom get insulation, drywall, and prime. Floors gets refinished on Wed. Full bathroom gets new tile floor and new tile in the shower.
Brian C

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:44 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian C wrote:

The big week starts tomorrow. Kitchen and bathroom get insulation, drywall, and prime. Floors gets refinished on Wed. Full bathroom gets new tile floor and new tile in the shower.

Told ya the big stuff starts today. Laughing Had some friends of mine bang this out in one day. Will come back to finish tomorrow.

New bathroom
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:39 am GMT    Post subject: looking good! Reply with quote

It's looking really good! Are you taking time off work to do this or just doing this during nights and weekends? Curious ... the most recent photos had blue board and then wood in places on the walls. What was the wood for?
Brian C

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: looking good! Reply with quote

melonrightcoast wrote:
It's looking really good! Are you taking time off work to do this or just doing this during nights and weekends? Curious ... the most recent photos had blue board and then wood in places on the walls. What was the wood for?

Due the economy, my salary hours have been cut. So I get a extra day off every 2 weeks. Most of the work is done from Friday to Sunday, while we clean, paint, prep during the week after work.

The wood on the walls is for two things, blocking the cabinets and strengthening the wall. There were numerous new cuts in the studs for wiring and plumbing so we wanted that extra support.

We ripped up the bathroom on Monday so the tile guy can install the new floor and tile in the shower.

The hardwood guys did their first coat of poly. They brought back the natural wood look. We wanted to stick with the dark wood but with pets, the scratches would show.
Brian C

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:10 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Moved most of our furniture into the house. The floors upstairs, living and den are finished. Then they work on the kitchen and dining.

Full bathroom had new tile installed in the shower up the walls and ceiling. Then the old floor was ripped up and re-tiled with classic black and white octagon tiles. Install the new pedestal sink tomorrow.

Next weekend is hopefully the big kitchen cabinet install. Maybe the new sliding door for the dinning room, if we have the time.

Pics will come......
Brian C

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised the kitchen and sliding glass door was installed today.
The picture does justice on how it looks...

See ya window!!

Installed

Cabinets were installed by one of our friends.

The rest of the kitchen (granite, molding, appliances) will be done next weekend.
Brian C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been over a month since my last update. Here is what has progressed:

Master bedroom complete. The cats seem happy now.

Dining room had new windows installed, new paint, and new chandelier. Just need molding for the slider to complete this room.

Kitchen now has all appliances and granite installed. Last thing is to install the backsplash.

Living room is done.

Looking at overall cost, im only $1500 over budget. This was because I had the electrican and plumber do some extra work. Also getting trees removed was a extra $1500 that wasn't planned till the spring.
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic. You could probably sell this for a profit even in this market, no?
john p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife picked out some nice rugs at Crate and Barell.

I think the rug she chose tied the whole room together.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/rugs/home-accessories/

Those cats are living the dream. Nice to be a cat nowadays, no mortgage, no b.s., just totally chill.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to mention, it looks gorgeous. You preserved the craftsman's style (interior) nicely and blended it with a more modern aesthetic. The real estate lingo is the "Pottery Barn" look. I think you've got pretty good vision to have seen through this.

http://www.landmarkservices.com/portfolio/portfolio5.html

I'm glad that you were able to manage the $$$ so well. People who fear doing this either don't trust their vision or are afraid that they'll run out of cash...
Brian C

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

john p wrote:
Oh, forgot to mention, it looks gorgeous. You preserved the craftsman's style (interior) nicely and blended it with a more modern aesthetic. The real estate lingo is the "Pottery Barn" look. I think you've got pretty good vision to have seen through this.

http://www.landmarkservices.com/portfolio/portfolio5.html

I'm glad that you were able to manage the $$$ so well. People who fear doing this either don't trust their vision or are afraid that they'll run out of cash...

Thanks, we tried very hard to keep the original wood trim, floors when they were in rough shape. My lady definitely stepped it up on picking out the colors for the home, because my choices were very dramatic. The outside im still warming up to. I hate the vinyl sliding since the cedar wood underneath is in great shape.

balor123 wrote:

You could probably sell this for a profit even in this market, no?

I paid $307k, put in about $22k. Houses in the area are on the market for the high $300s, low $400k's but I dont even want to think about selling with all the work I put in.
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you said in another post that your HHI was about $100k so if you did this for a living you could quit your day job. And somehow flipping houses is profitable even when the average buyer is losing buying power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.