bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Help on Rental issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krishnarama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:50 pm GMT    Post subject: Help on Rental issue Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I have this lease on my apartment until July,but I am going to close our house on March 28th. In situations like this,does the renter have the right to break the lease with one month notice in MA?. I know certain states allow you to that if you buy a house. I have been living in the same apartment for over 5 years now and management says I can't break the lease. I understand their position ,but do I have any right to settle otherwise?.Thanks to all.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any allowance for breaking your lease because you bought a house, but I'm not a lawyer, so maybe check with one. Also, what about subletting? Perhaps the management would be more amenable toward letting you out of your lease if you offered to do all the work of finding a replacement. Good luck.

- admin
JCK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of any laws that allow you to break a lease because you've purchased property.

That being said, I would check the terms of your lease carefully, there may be an "out" provision.

You may need to contact a lawyer to get a firm answer this question.

Good luck.

What happens if you simply stop paying (and just accept the loss of your security deposit and/or last month's rent)?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you move out, I believe Massachusetts laws require your landlord to try to find someone to rent your place. You have to pay the rent until the end of your lease or until somebody else rents it, whichever comes first.
AgentGrn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:13 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your lease. There is almost always a "break lease" condition set forth in it that highlights your responsibilities when you move out. Regardless, your lease is a legally-binding contract.

My wife and I are month-to-month on our apartment now. That has risks of its own, but we're building up more down payment monies in hopes of actually finding something within the price range we want in Q4 this year.
CJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know, you will loose your security deposit and last month's rent. That's all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:37 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Help on Rental issue Reply with quote

krishnarama wrote:

have been living in the same apartment for over 5 years now
and management says I can't break the lease. .

Why would you have a lease ???

most people would have switched to month to month

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:47 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Help on rental issue Reply with quote

Some landlords prefer a 12-month lease agreement, I guess.

I'm in a similar situation right now. I've been in the same apartment for just about three years. My fiance and I are thinking of buying later in the year, so we asked our landlady if we could have a month-to-month agreement moving forward (lease expires at the end of April). Initially she agreed, but now she's balking, because her real estate agent tells her she could have trouble renting the apartment during the "winter months."

The good news for the OP is that (according to the above logic, at least) spring shouldn't be a difficult time for the landlord to find a new tenant.
larry.russiya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live there from last 5 years then they should understand your decision on your point of view.Yes,break lease is wrong and don't try to do it manually.but in your case you should have to talk with your landlords about your situation.
Leyendeck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, they should show a little bit more understanding for somebody that's been renting the apartment for 5 years.
BostonMarket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:29 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the group. Although you're required to pay the remainder of your lease, the landlord should be understanding of your situation.

You can offer to help find a new renter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.