bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Did I just make a big mistake? $640K for Winchester house

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:34 pm GMT    Post subject: Did I just make a big mistake? $640K for Winchester house Reply with quote

Need opinions.

Just bought a 1600 SF house on a small lot (about 5000 SF) in Winchester. Okay house, but kitchen could use updates. No fireplace. No serious issues that I can see (will have my inspector take a look). 3 bed 2 bath. No driveway or garage, since house is on a private road (so no parking issues). Nice, quiet residential neighborhood. About 0.8 miles to town center (including commuter rail), which is an easy 15 minute walk for me. Shops, restaurants, and supermarket all within 0.5 miles. Modest lot means modest taxes, about $5K/year.

I have a pending agreement at about $640K, 3.25% fixed 30 years. Thoughts, please?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm OP and I should clarify that the mortgage is for $400K, not $640K. I put down a lot of cash.
unclemat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late to ask for advice?

I am pretty sure I know which house you're buying (not hard to guess based on the description). I did not see the house in person, but friends did see it and thought the price is very high for what it is, and based on the pictures and the data I would agree. I think you're crazy to bid that much over the asking (did the agent sell you some BS on competing offers?) and believe you can do much better in Winchester with little bit more patience.

But then everyone's situation is different and depending on where you're coming from and what you need. I still think it's sad that people pay so much for so little.

Have you checked flood situation there? The house is very close to a brook. Chances may have basement water issues (not uncommon here even without a brook next door, though).

However, 3.25% fixed for 30 years sounds very good, where do you find deals like that?
unclemat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you backed out from buying it. I think it was a good move... good luck!
unclemat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you backed out, I think it's okay to post the link:

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Winchester/66-Sylvester-Ave-01890/home/11454800

It was this one, wasn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.25% for 30 year will make 9 out of 10 overpriced deals be a smart buy over time. As unclemat was asking, where did you get that kind of deal? Could you please share your source so everyone can benefit from it? Thanks! Very Happy
Dismayed

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
3.25% for 30 year will make 9 out of 10 overpriced deals be a smart buy over time. As unclemat was asking, where did you get that kind of deal? Could you please share your source so everyone can benefit from it? Thanks! Very Happy

i wouldn't bank on low rates making a bad buy a good buy.
balor123

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it ended up selling for $83k less! OP dodged a bullet there.
showgunx

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would it be a good deal now with $83k less? house in Winchester is getting expensive very quickly.
I am still in dis-believe mode of how the original poster get 3.25% for 30 years, unless he is paying extra for lower the rate point.
The best 0 point rate for 30 year I ever encountered was 3.5%, and that was back on January 2012...
gdma

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:40 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on a 3.25% right now. Refinanced to this in 2014 Jan.
0 points.

http://www.nationalmortgagealliance.com/rates/results.jsp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.