bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Alternative to i-bonds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balor123

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:41 am GMT    Post subject: Alternative to i-bonds? Reply with quote

Precious Metals CD. Interesting but perhaps still safer with i-bonds.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Alternative to i-bonds? Reply with quote

That's pretty interesting, thanks. I'm a little skeptical to begin with of using precious metals as a hedge against inflation, and this vehicle cuts the potential returns in half, so I think I'd still prefer I Bonds for myself. (Of course, they aren't mutually exclusive.)

Speaking of I Bonds, I had a thought the other day on predicting I Bond rates. I was very disappointed when they announced the new premium for the next six months. The rate has been pathetic for awhile, and it's now even lower, and it almost felt like they are trying to drive away customers. Then it occurred to me to compare the I Bond rates with TIPS. I made some preliminary graphs for my own benefit, and it looks like the I Bond premium moves similar to the 5 year TIPS. I am just eyeballing the graphs and this is far from thorough, but it's something that I'd like to explore more. It could be very useful for timing future purchases since the premium is fixed for 6 whole months at a time.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FatWallet community follows the i-bond rate pretty closely.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we are on the cusp of a change in I-Bond rates, I've made another graph to compare I-Bonds with the real yield curve:

Sources:

While the current inflation premium of 0.20% is very paltry, the real yield curve appears to have fallen across the board since it went into effect. 5 year yields are actually negative at the moment! Consequently, I think I'm going to gamble on I-Bond rates not increasing come November 1st and make my yearly purchase beforehand, unless FatWallet convinces me otherwise (I haven't checked there lately).

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:

While the current inflation premium of 0.20% is very paltry, the real yield curve appears to have fallen across the board since it went into effect. 5 year yields are actually negative at the moment! Consequently, I think I'm going to gamble on I-Bond rates not increasing come November 1st and make my yearly purchase beforehand, unless FatWallet convinces me otherwise (I haven't checked there lately).

Called it. They dropped the premium to 0.00%.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:05 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ick. They held the premium at 0.00% for the May reset. On the plus side, the inflation rate has been set to 2.30% for the next 6 months, so previous I-Bond purchases continue look excellent relative to other ostensibly risk free alternatives (e.g., CDs and Treasuries).

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:43 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not a bad interest rate, no? There's a post on Fatwallet about it.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:46 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Still not a bad interest rate, no? There's a post on Fatwallet about it.

True... relatively to the alternatives at the moment. I'm going to wait for the November reset, though. I don't think they're going to go negative with the premium.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:28 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

In I Bond news, it looks like The Treasury is trying to do away with paper bonds:

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/news/pressroom/pressroom_comotcend0711.htm

This would effectively cut the annual purchase limit from $30K originally, to $10K recently, and soon just $5K without the separate paper option. You can supposedly still buy paper bonds with your tax refund, although who knows how long that will last. That would also make timing the rate change too inconvenient. Treasury Direct does have a mail-in form for ordering paper bonds, and their press release doesn't explicitly address whether that will remain, but emails exchanged with their customer service indicate that it is being eliminated too:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1112039#1112039

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that. Bummer.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:18 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I noticed a little bit of good news on the I-Bond front, at least with respect to the purchase limits. The annual limit for electronic purchases has been raised to $10K, probably because paper bonds are now all but discontinued:

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/articles/res_invest_articles_purchaselimits_0406.htm

Additionally, you can still get up to $5K in paper I-Bonds if you use your IRS tax refund. So you could potentially get up to $15K total per year now.

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. The inflation premium on new I Bonds is positive again, for the first time since May 2010:

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds_iratesandterms.htm

I was caught off guard by this, given that the real yield on 5 year TIPS is still solidly negative:

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3020-tips.html

It's still paltry at 0.20%, but that's still way better than an FDIC bank account.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penfed is offering a 3yr CD over 2%. Interest rates are rising. My savings and the taxes they're gonna have to pay to keep up aren't thrilled about it but its probably for the better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.