bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

College classes in/instead of High School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaidran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:24 pm GMT    Post subject: College classes in/instead of High School Reply with quote

There was a long discussion a while back about taking Harvard Extension School classes in place of High school.

My wife is really interested in the concept. Does anyone have any hard data on how the classes compare to an "advanced" class in a MA high school? Also if you can take them while attending regular high school as well (if that is mentally possible).
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what I'd seen, where the comparisons can be made are in the basic sciences...

HES BIOS E-1a/1b compares well to a HS AP Biology class

same goes for the APs in chemistry, physics, and calculus, however, I'd heard that the calculus is more challenging at Harvard Ext since it's geared towards later having undergrad experiences in differential equations, numerical analysis, etc.

The divergence, however, is for English Literature, US and European Histories, and the Languages. There's allegedly minimal, one-to-one mapping there.

Most HES classes are taught at night so it's possible to attend both HS and HES, however, realize that a single course meeting could give a full week's worth of homework, at a time, so it would be an overload for many high schoolers.

Think about it like this, for many BA/BS granting colleges, one can transfer up to ~50% of credits from another college, it's the junior/senior years which need to be finished in the final degree granting school. Even if one attends Philips Academy HS, none of that work transfers to any college outside of the AP exam.
Kaidran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to live in ignorance I have actually been taking some of these classes myself in math. I do not think it would be a good idea for high school kids most of the people in the class have covered the material before so any kids is at an immediate disadvantage. The teachers vary a lot in quality and a large amount of motivation is needed. I'm doing quite well but 16 year old Kaidran would only be getting Cs.

It seems that any kids that would do well here would be acing tests in almost any high school anyway. Safety nets in high school seem much better for less motivated (~90%?) of students. Its not that you cannot succeed here and it would stand out on an application. I just think that for most kids this would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.